Internet pop-up (Virus?) while browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AC Question

Please help! I have a Samsung Galaxy s5 and the last 2 or 3 days I've had this Internet Explorer page pop up from **website removed**. The page looks like a screen shot of a Facebook page. It says I've been selected for a Special deal and has a ticker counting down the time before the deal ends. I can't make it stop popping up. I never click on anything but just close the page out. I checked Facebook and there is no page for this site. My virus protection keeps saying I'm safe but I don't think I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I would suggest clearing the data from the browser. Go to Settings>Apps>swipe over to all apps>scroll down to your browser>click on it>click clear data. See if that helps.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
OP, do you mean the stock browser that was preloaded on the device? I ask because I don't think Internet Explorer is available for Android. If you are referring to the internet browser then give clearing cache a try as suggested by Golfdriver (above) and let us know if that helps. Also, try taking a screen shot and post it here for us to look at.

Cerridwen523

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have had the same issue for the past 3 days. I have tried clearing everything in my apps, history, and I have not downloaded any new apps that it could be piggybacking on. Please, if someone figures this out it would be appreciated. It is obviously some sort of malware that isn't being detected. Thank you.

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I, too, have had the same issue. I never utilize any free applications on my new Motorola Android because I don't like ads. It appears two to three times per day and ONLY when I open my texting application. I beleive that it came from an application named "Life Reminders" by Cameleo Tech. Do either of you have this app on your phone?

When it happens it instantly opens up a text box and forces me to acknowledge their text box. This then opens my default browser (Opera) and takes me to allformymobile . com at which time it tells me about some damn prize that I've won or some other crap. I then close the browser and I won't see it again for several hours. I've even installed several reliable and highly-rated anti-virus and malware detectors but with no success. I eventually uninstalled "LIfe Reminders" and I thought I had solved the issue but it's back. IT'S BACK! I looked on my list of installed applications and I found another "Life Reminders" line on my list of installed applications. I then uninstalled it but it's back. This all started about three days ago.

Can either of you list the applications that you've installed in the last three days? I'll do the same so that we can find a common denominator. I'm using an application named "App Install Monitor" which displays the install and last update date of every installed application on my device.

Let's find the cure. Please!

Last edited:

Mary Lee2

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I too get the same annoying pop up window and it started about 3 days ago! It's driving me batty!!! I never click Ok, always cancel. I cleared my cache, cookies and even history.....still happens!!

koliver12

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same problem. It takes me to the same website. I don't have the facebook app on my phone, so that's not the cause.
I've cleared my cache for almost all of my apps, cleared my browser history, and uninstalled a few apps, but it just happened again.

tranquilitybase

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
This is definitely a virus or malware folks. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 does it on every startup and I have scanned and erased all history. It does it with whatever browser I use. I looked up on whole and they are some scam company out of London. I am guessing the antivirus has not discovered it yet.

Alissha

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Have cleared my chrome cache. Uninstalled the two apps I installed right before it happened. They were mp3 downloaders. Could it have anything to do with snap chat?

fairpilot

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I get it when i open my chrome browser now and then but at least 5 times a day. Says "congradulations your profile has been selected" I have found no such website, when you google it, it takes me to DreamHost who supposedly owns it. As soon as it pops up again i will get a screen shot is possible.
My phone is an HTC Desire EYE

Mlong1125

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting this at random times. It's not when I open or close a certain app. It happened first thing this morning before I even opened any apps. I don't have to be doing anything and it will just pop up. I took a screen shot but don't know how to post it on this thread.

Mlong1125

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
It's the browser that's preloaded. I've cleaned everything thru AVG and it says my phone is good. I have 2 screen shots but don't know how to post them here. Can you tell me how to do that?

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
So far I've seen that MP3 Downloader may be a common denominator. I, too, installed it about 2 weeks ago. It's possible that the creator of this malware designed it to postpone activity until a week or more have passed thus compelling the user to believe that it is not the likely source. Does anyone else remember installing MP3 Downloader recently?

One more thing, this malware took me to a new website this morning and I can usually just close the page to which I'm taken by using the "Back" key but when I hit the "Back" key it simply reloaded for a second time. It could have been an error on my part or it may be getting more aggressive. Let me know if you're experiencing any increased aggressive activity. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.