Should I upgrade from the S3, and to what?

A

AC Question

So, in September of 2012 I got an S2, and loved that phone. In early 2014 it broke (a factory defect) and Sprint replaced it - repeatedly - several times over the course of the summer. By September of 2014, with a less than 1 month old S2 (my 4th one in 2014), and overpaying for my bill, I took a look around to see if I could save money with another carrier.

Verizon could save me money, but I couldn't keep the S2. The guy told me the S3 was a significant upgrade, that I would love the S3, and still save money. I was more interested in the S5 if I couldn't keep my S2, but the difference in the cost of the phone would negate any monthly savings from switching carriers, so I went with the S3. That was in October of 2014.

I didn't notice that the S3 was much of an improvement. Some things were better, but overall I wasn't impressed. Nevertheless, it hasn't been a bad phone for the last 6 months. Then I dropped it and broke the screen. I took it into Verizon and they sent it off to be fixed. Last week it came back.

I'm unhappy with the repair job. I can no longer use the front facing camera, the screen occasionally flickers, and if it gets warm (as both the S2 and S3 seem to do occasionally for no apparent reason) the screen will become totally unresponsive until I pull the battery. Moreover, glue is oozing out on both the outside of the phone and the inside, making it sticky and smell bad.

Verizon won't let me use my Sprint S2 on their network, so I suppose I'll have to buy a new phone. I'm just not thrilled enough with the S3 to want another one. So, should I upgrade to an S5, wait a few months for an S6, or keep using the S3 and dealing with the glitchyness and sticky smelly glue?

How much of an upgrade is the S5 over the S3? Over the S2?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are feel that you need a new phone right now and are considering another Galaxy device, then you will be happy with the S5. If you are able to stick it out a while longer you can get the S6 at a higher cost, or get the S5 at an even more discounted price once the S6 is released. Both are going to be significant upgrades to the S3, which you are currently using.

As to why the S2 won't work on Verizon, that's because it has hardware that only supports Sprint cellular bands.

LarrysGyrl

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If your upgrading on Sprint, be mindful that any newer phone that runs on the SPARK network will NOT allow voice and data simultaneously. That's why I still have my M7 and plan to switch to Verizon or T-Mobile.

Posted via the Android Central App