I have a Galaxy Mega 2. Can I delete the Google + app without Playstore or other Google app negative use repercussions? YouTube etc.. I don't use the Google Plus social network directly and want to delete it off my phone..

Akawarrior..

Via : Galaxy Mega 2 - Kitkat 4.4
    03-10-2015 04:14 PM
    Hello. Yes you can disable it without consequences, it won't delete but you probably knew that. Many people did since I have been on the Note 3 forum, as it was also considered a battery and data hog.

There are new guides, and articles with comments, in the blog section of AC since yesterday, it has improvements if you ever decide to give it a try.

This is my Note 3 (US Samsung models can term Disabled as Turned Off) :

03-10-2015 06:30 PM
    Ok, thanks for the great answer. Newbie to Android sort of. My knoledge is with Android apps and BlackBerry z10 so did not want to goof my other Google stuff. I like some of it. Just never use Google + and it's a huge app so figured I would trash it. Yep, was only able to delete the update. The imaged version is still there. Maybe if some day I decide to root my Mega 2, then maybe I can rip it out with some other bloat stuff I have no use for. Been on AC for a few days now and already picking up some good info. Enjoying the app and the site. Thanks again for your help.. :-)

Akawarrior..

If you have the time can you give me some insight on this root thingy.. lol

Never had to do that with the z10 as it comes what I assume is called rooted..

anon8380037 likes this.
    03-11-2015 02:50 PM
    If you have G+ or any stock app in the Disabled / Turned Off list, you shouldn't have any icons in the app drawer and it won't be doing anything in the background. Not clear if that's what you meant, but you can Force Stop, uncheck, clear data on those until the App Info screen is blank, like above.

I still tend to think rooting is the work of the devil after 15 months, , but I think if I had an older phone I would give it a try.

I was going to give you a link to one of Android Central's ambassadors guides to start you off, but there are a few, some updated, and I couldn't see an introduction type guide.

So here's a bus ticket, and I'll send you there instead.

Head for: Android Central Community - General Help and How To - Ambassadors Guides (and Stickies).

Ambassadors @Golfdriver97 and @Rukbat are probably the most knowledgeable if you have questions.

Try to say Hi in Introductions in that section as well, or have a look.

See you around the forums.
    03-11-2015 03:28 PM
    Excellent.. Thanks for the info.. Yes, that's what I did was clear the cache and data then disabled G+.. I was given an un-install option at first but when I activated the un-install it reported only the update that was installed would be removed and the bloat version in the OS would stay. I got a reduction in app size equal to the size of an update, I guess.
    I read somewhere that rooting would cancel the warranty on a phone. Guess that means it will be a while. Besides I am very happy with the phone as is for now. Being used to the Blackberry and being able to rip bloat out from day one sure is eating at me though.
    Thanks for the heads up on the ones in the know though. Great info..

Akawarrior..

03-11-2015 09:24 PM
    I see you posted in Introductions already.

It can trigger something to void the warranty but not on all devices or carriers. It may depend on what you flash/install instead. I find it not worth it. But try some Launchers like Nova, I only started using it recently at a basic level, but I have a much better homescreen, more icons, it's easier on the battery and snappier. Definitely the best launcher (it's just an app that takes over the screens layouts from Touchwiz Home).
    The Go Launcher has had some bugs and adware / malware so I would leave it alone.

Check the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Homescreens Sticky thread.

I don't know why there is no Mega 2 forum, maybe not popular with US carriers, I don't know.

There's a Mega 6.3 and 5.8 forum consigned to the Archives - Samsung section.
    akawarrior likes this.
    03-11-2015 09:37 PM