I want to switch cell phone providers without getting a new cell phone. The new providers activation instructions say I need to find my "15 digit IMEI number" So I found it, but it is only 14 digits. From what I have read this means it is a CDMA phone and cannot be switched over. However, my phone still requires a SIM card so doesn't that actually make it a GSM?
    I spent $400 on this phone a year ago and it is in perfect condition I do not want to buy a new one. Will I be able to switch it with just the 14 digit code or am I going to have to waste more money on a new phone with one extra IMEI digit?
    03-16-2015 04:03 PM
    CDMA phones have used SIMs for data for a while now.

If your former provider was or used a CDMA carrier, the phone is a CDMA phone. The S3 isn't a "both modes" phone. (The actual model number - i<something>, like i337, will tell you. Just google model# specs and you'll see what it is. (If gsmarena doesn't come up, chances are it's CDMA - they list some CDMA phones, but not all. But you'll get a couple of other sites that list specs for CDMA phones.)

If the phone is CDMA you're not buying a new phone just for an additional IMEI digit, you're buying a phone with different hardware.
    03-16-2015 05:22 PM