What is the maximum messages setting?

A

AC Question

Maximum messages setting

Hi!
I just recently discovered a new setting in the Messaging app that sets a maximum of messages per conversation. I never did anything with this setting myself, but it looks like the app automatically deleted thousands of my messages when it set a maximum of 200 messages per conversation. I think it's absolutely horrible that the app can just do that by itself. Those messages meant the world to me. So my question is... does anyone know if there is a way to get them back or if anyone knows who I can contact regarding this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks you!

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Maximum messages setting

It's virtually impossible to retrieve text messages. The carriers have them but the process to get them back is arduous to say the least. Courts can get them by subpoena but for the average citizen, not so much. There are apps that claim to be able to retrieve them, but I think most of those reconstruct the deleted message from your device. However in your case if your limit was set and you are missing that many it is likely using the same space and overwriting them again and again making it difficult if not impossible to recover them. I've Googled trying to recover texts, because recently I too have wanted some old texts back, and the consensous seems to be, unless you are using a backup program or archive tool they are just gone. I am a bit surprised though that if this happened during an update that the old messages were deleted because recently I was on the forum with a poster who was trying to delete messages and one thing I suggested was that they set the message limit and see if the old messages would delete themselves, and they didn't.