If Samsung is in hot competition with all mobile apple devices shouldn't it invest in a better Laptop/desktop app that can easily sync all desired to and from phone??
    I am anti apple but when it comes to a proprietary app that aids in the use and enjoyment of a Galaxy device please give us something other than this pile of useless code. It is totally lame, the two (phone and desktop) should harmonise flawlessly and intuitively.... or am I wrong?
    03-20-2015 09:59 AM
    Not wrong... but apparently in the minority. Most users, according to feedback and 'polls' conducted by Sammy, the majority of their users don't even care about a PC suit. And you know what, when I think about it, I never do need it either!

Pictures are backed up to Google Photos or Dropbox. Contacts, Calendar, E-Mails, all safely tucked away in the cloud and ready to be restored to any device using my Google account. Settings and Bookmarks can be restored using either Google or Samsung's account. My S-Notes are backed up to Samsung's or Evernote's servers and, again, easily restored once I set up my account in the phone. Apps are re-downloaded with my Google account (and yes, this is the part where Android sucks...it needs to restore apps with their data, just like iTunes does). I haven't touched Kies since the S2 and I've owned a Note 2, an S4, a Note 3, and now a Note 4 since then.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    03-20-2015 10:40 AM
    And that's SpookDroid. I've "conducted" informal "polls" (I've asked people) and most people - like 95% - don't back up their phones at all. (Most of them don't even know that they can, let alone that they should.) If Samsung came out with a free "back up everything in one click" set of Linux/Mac/Windows programs, the server it gets downloaded from wouldn't get hit very hard - they could probably serve the file from a cellphone.

Many people posting here don't have their phones backed up - and we're a tiny minority of cellphone owners. So backing up is done by a tiny minority of a tiny minority - not really a blip on Samsung's radar.

(Unlike SpookDroid, I always keep a current TWRP data partition backup on my desktop and 2 cloud accounts. The phone got a virus that can't be gotten rid of? No problem. Flash the ROM from power off, restore the data and I wasted half an hour. The only thing that kills this phone is a hardware failure. [I spent a week bricking the phone from trying different ROMs. It was a fun week, except that the only ROM I found that I liked still has bugs. But bricking the phone? Just 10 wasted minutes. My data is always safe - and it's one slide in TWRP, not running 10 different programs.)
    03-20-2015 04:01 PM
    haha I've been trying to find the article, but it wasn't informal, it was something on the lines of the Insight program. I just added the fact that I do, too, wouldn't care about an improved Kies. And to be fair, Kies DOES back up your entire phone. It just does it in such a stupid way that you can only restore it to the very same phone. So same model after warranty replacement won't work. And for different devices they are pushing Smart Switch for that.
    03-20-2015 04:20 PM