To quote an analogy, it's like buying a brand new motor car, and when you get in to drive it, you find you have to move the petrol tank to the roof, respray the motor car and then rotate all the wheels, only to find this doesnt make the car work.

Judging by all the threads and so called fixes, why is this still a problem ?

I bought a V3+ and put a 4GB sd card in it, and no matter what I do, I still get this useless message about insufficient space.

Is there a simple answer out there on how to fix this ?
    03-22-2015 02:30 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Insufficient space is a problem for devices that come with small amounts of Internal Storage (like 4 GB or 8 GB). After accounting for the OS and preinstalled apps, the storage available to the user is anywhere from 1 GB to 5 GB. Considering how big apps (especially games) are getting these days, it's very easy to fill that storage up easily. MicroSD cards have always been primarily useful for storing media like music, videos, or photos--they've never been meant to increase your app storage greatly. This is why it is always best to get a device with as much internal storage as you can afford.

See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-warnings.html
    03-23-2015 06:16 PM
    It's like a desktop with a 10MB hard drive. They were fantastic back in 1985, so why isn't there enough space on the drive now? You can add all the tape drives you want, but you still can't download an email because the hard drive is full. (Believe it or not, we were once limited to 128KB floppy disks, and we had no problem - because a shoe horn and a sledge hammer were part of every programmer's toolkit. You crammed every last function out of every byte in the code, so it would be small. [There was a contest for the smallest code to clear all of RAM in the computer. The winner was 2 instructions - 3 bytes. Now that's some tight coding. It was cheating though - every bit in all of RAM was set to 0, except for one bit somewhere that was still a 1.])

And it's not a conspiracy by the carriers or manufacturers to force us to constantly buy new phones. There are apps you can run that basically "write" apps for you. They write big sloppy apps, because they include every imaginable function, whether your app needs it or not. As time goes on, there are more functions, so apps "written" this way keep getting larger. (We used to be able to put an entire accounting package into a computer with only 64KB of RAM. Today, it would take more than that to display the word "hello" on the screen, even in a tightly-written program, because almost no one writes programs in assembly language any more.)

Well-written apps, those actually written by programmers who understand how to make their programs small (like by not using classes, which is almost basic to any Java program) still write apps that will run in little 500KB storage phones that still run Gingerbread. But everyone wants to be a developer and make lots of money (which doesn't work - for every Candy Crush there are tens of thousands of apps you can't give away), and no one wants to put in the few years it takes to become a decent programmer, so we're going to see more large sloppy apps, and need phones with more internal storage. In maybe 10 years, a phone with 256GB of internal storage will seem like a useless antique and an app that needs less than 1GB of internal storage will be rare.

I don't know whom I'm misquoting here, but "code expands to fill the available space" is true. Make bigger computers and the code to do the same thing will get bigger.
    B. Diddy and Javier P like this.
    03-24-2015 12:16 AM
    Amen, brother.
    03-24-2015 01:15 AM