I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, 2014 edition, and have found that sometimes the screen suddenly goes blank (locks, even if I am using it - so it hasn't timed out) and when I unlock it the back and menu buttons won't work. I have also noticed that when this happens the clock suddenly disppears from the top right hand corner. Sometimes if I hold down the power button the functionality of the buttons (and the clock!) come back but other times I have had to remove the battery to restart. I have done a virus scan with AVL free but nothing showed up. Any suggestions? I should mention that the tablet was dropped recently and had the screen replaced, but the problem was present before it got dropped. Thanks.
    03-22-2015 10:31 PM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, 2014 edition, and have found that sometimes the screen suddenly goes blank (locks, even if I am using it - so it hasn't timed out) and when I unlock it the back and menu buttons won't work. I have also noticed that when this happens the clock suddenly disppears from the top right hand corner. Sometimes if I hold down the power button the functionality of the buttons (and the clock!) come back but other times I have had to remove the battery to restart. I have done a virus scan with AVL free but nothing showed up. Any suggestions? I should mention that the tablet was dropped recently and had the screen replaced, but the problem was present before it got dropped. Thanks.
    Go into recovery (power off then hold volume down+home+power on) and clear cache. That should clear up that issue.

Let us know if you have any questions.
    03-22-2015 11:04 PM
    Hi, thanks for this answer. When I attempt to start up in this way I receive a warning: 'A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications' - should I continue?! Thanks
    03-22-2015 11:23 PM
    Hi and thanks fo this answer. I have since created a user account. After reading your answer I did a little reearch into recovery mode and when I attmepted it I didn't get the Android screen I was expecting. I got a warning screen which said 'Warning - A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications'. I am only give two options - to down load a custom OC use vol up, or to cancel (restart device), vol down. There is not option to enter recovery mode. Do you know why this might be occurring? Thanks.
    03-28-2015 06:07 PM
    Hi and thanks fo this answer. I have since created a user account. After reading your answer I did a little reearch into recovery mode and when I attmepted it I didn't get the Android screen I was expecting. I got a warning screen which said 'Warning - A custom OS can cause critical problems in phone and installed applications'. I am only give two options - to down load a custom OC use vol up, or to cancel (restart device), vol down. There is not option to enter recovery mode. Do you know why this might be occurring? Thanks.
    OK, after more research it seeems thta my case was pressing on the vol own button when I tried to press vol up, and hence I was in the wrong mode. I have successfully started in recovery and cleared the cache, so fingers crossed this will stop the original problem! Thanks for the help, srkmagnus
    03-29-2015 06:14 AM
    Hi, I have tried the clear cache suggestion (twice actually) but it has not resolved the problem. Does anyone else have any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
    04-10-2015 06:05 AM