Is there a way to view conversations from a long time ago that are not showing up anymore?

A

AC Question

(View more of the conversation history?)
I am looking back on a text conversation but i want to be able to view it 2 months before the place it stops showing me the text history of that convo

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the app you're using for messaging. Some apps keep everything until you delete them. Some cull older messages after a preset limit for each thread, ie.. If your settings are 50 messages, and you hit that limit in that thread, then every time you receive a new message from that person then the oldest message is deleted to make room for the next one incoming.

I typically never set a limit (because I never delete anything), and make it a point to back up older messages when a thread gets over a few hundred. There are many free apps that provide backup functions. And a few messenger apps that have backup functionality built in.

Via Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not using an app for texting is like breathing "not air". You're using SOME app, even if it's the one that came with the phone. Messaging (or Messages, depending on the version of Android) is an app. That little Message icon in the tray runs the texting app.

If you want to back up your messages, use something like SMS Backup & Restore or SMS to Text if you want the backup to be human-readable but not restorable to the phone.