I have an LG G3, my first Android phone, and I noticed that when I delete emails from my Gmail account through Android's email app, the email doesn't actually move to the Trash folder in Gmail, rather it's put into a new folder [Imap]/Trash. This problem only exists with my Gmail account. I also have a Yahoo Mail and a work related Exchange account linked through the email app but they do not have this problem.

How do I change it so that emails deleted from my phone go to the default Trash folder in Gmail?
    03-23-2015 07:52 PM
    That's a good question, typically I use Gmail or Inbox (prefer Inbox) and when I delete my gmail messages they go to the trash. Now when I delete emails on my MacBook Pro using the Mac Mail client they go into trash, but when I empty the trash in the Mac mail client they do not get deleted in the Gmail trash on the web. I have to go in and delete about 2000 messages every few weeks. Kind of annoying.

I would suggest Gmail or Inbox if you are using a Gmail account.
    03-23-2015 08:15 PM
    This is really just kinda the way Gmail IMAP works. AquaMail has 3 different ways of handling deletions. The quote below, taken from the AquaMail FAQ explains it well, particularly the last paragraph:

"What are the options for deleting messages?
    There are three methods to delete messages.

The choices are: “Move to Deleted folder first” / “Delete from the server immediately” / “Hide in the app, keep on the server”. The initial default setting is “Move to Deleted”.

When using IMAP, you can synchronize the [ Deleted ] folder with the server if you like. With EWS, this is always the case.

Deleting messages from Gmail requires that they first be moved into the Deleted folder, which in turn has to be set up to synchronize with “[Gmail]/Trash”. When setting up a Gmail account, AquaMail sets this up automatically."

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    03-23-2015 08:22 PM
    The app is evidently aware (or the programmer who wrote it was) that folders in POP3 are just an artifact created in the app - on the server all your email is just your email. The Trash folder (like all other folders) only exists in an IMAP account. But you can trash an email in a POP3 account. (That marks it for deletion, but doesn't delete it, and a pure POP3 client wouldn't show it.) So there's a difference between trash and IMAP trash. Most email apps don't separate them and when you delete (or "move to trash") an email, they're moved to the same folder, even if it's on a POP3 account and a folder isn't a thing.

If you don't want to change the way you do things, go to GMail and change the account to a POP3 account. (It just changes how the email is handled, you won't lose anything but some functions, like real folders.)
    Crashdamage likes this.
    03-23-2015 10:58 PM