Home Button/GoogleNow Issue

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Today my phone started opening Google Now when I tap the home key. I don't mean when I long tap, just a regular button press like I normally do to go to my home screen.

I imagine the button maybe is malfunctioning? It doesn't seem to physically get stuck but it is odd. At this point I really need to either a) turn off Google now or b) get a new phone. I'm still under the 1 year manufacturer warranty. Anyone know if it would cover this? It is highly annoying and happens anywhere from 30-60% of button presses.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone help with this? Still an issue. I wonder if AT&T will help? Doubtful....

Did you recently update to lollipop?

Current devices - T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4, Surface Pro 3 Core I5, and Nexus 9

Past Devices - Phones: Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, HTC Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO, HTC Hero, Motorola Photon.

Tablets: Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 7 (2012), Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Windows 8.1, Dell Venue 8, Galaxy Tab Pro, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8, Kindle Fire HD 8.4, Kindle Fire HD 7, Kindle Fire, iPad 2, iPad 1, Nook HD, Nook.

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I recently did an update that came out for the GS5 in AT&T but I wasn't generally behind on updates, it was new. So I don't know. What difference does that make, what would you say that I do?

Since it only happens sometimes I'm thinking it's a hardware malfunction.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently did an update that came out for the GS5 in AT&T but I wasn't generally behind on updates, it was new. So I don't know. What difference does that make, what would you say that I do?

Since it only happens sometimes I'm thinking it's a hardware malfunction.

Yeah could be the home button is messing up. Not sure if you want to try to do a factory reset and see if that maybe fixes the issue. Updates tend to mess a lot of things up now a days.

Joseph Bozzo

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah could be the home button is messing up. Not sure if you want to try to do a factory reset and see if that maybe fixes the issue. Updates tend to mess a lot of things up now a days.

I really want to avoid doing a factory reset if possible, but it may be the only option. There doesn't seem to be any physical indicator of a malfunction.

Is there no way to just turn off this feature? I can turn off the Now Cards/Google Now but the search feature still comes up when I press the home key (long press).

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I really want to avoid doing a factory reset if possible, but it may be the only option. There doesn't seem to be any physical indicator of a malfunction.

Is there no way to just turn off this feature? I can turn off the Now Cards/Google Now but the search feature still comes up when I press the home key (long press).

Unless you are rooted I don't think you can get rid the long press. At least you got rid of the Google Now part popping up on your by just pressing the home button.