Today I got a warning on my S5 that my device memory was almost full and might result in some performance issues. Looking at my memory apparently 10.06 GB are classified as Used Space. Looking at the break down of the used space it says 7.71 GB of that are Downloads. When I look at Downloads to clear some of that space it says there are no downloads. When I look at my files I'm not using much more than a gig and my apps are only taking up 2 gigs. Dows anyone have any idea what could be taking up so much space and how I can get rid of it? Thanks in advance!
    03-27-2015 09:52 AM
    Today I got a warning on my S5 that my device memory was almost full and might result in some performance issues. Looking at my memory apparently 10.06 GB are classified as Used Space. Looking at the break down of the used space it says 7.71 GB of that are Downloads. When I look at Downloads to clear some of that space it says there are no downloads. When I look at my files I'm not using much more than a gig and my apps are only taking up 2 gigs. Dows anyone have any idea what could be taking up so much space and how I can get rid of it? Thanks in advance!
    Try using ES File Manager to look in your downloads folder. I had that issue once and the storage app didn't see a zip file i had in there but ES File Manager did.
    03-27-2015 10:12 AM
    1) Memory is RAM, storage is ROM. You're running out of storage. (Google is evidently getting sloppy with their error message wording.)

2) As Andre said, use ES File Explorer to look in the Download folder.

Also read Low on space? Dump logcat.

Also look in Miscellaneous. If there's data stored for an app you no longer use, delete it.

Get an external SD card and move all your pictures, videos, music, documents, etc., off the phone and onto the card. Set any apps that allow it to save data to the external card. You may or may not have to root and run an app like NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root) (which makes a few changes to a system file that you could do manually if you wanted to and knew how), depending on whether the app in question is written to work under Android 4.4+ or not.

Even if you have the 16GB version of the phone, you shouldn't be running low on storage. I download tons of apps to answer questions (If I can't see what the app does, I may not understand what's being asked), I only go through the phone every few months to clean out junk I don't need, I just downloaded to help someone, and I still have plenty of space left on a phone with 32GB of internal storage. (I do have just about half of my 64GB external card full, but that doesn't affect the internal storage.)
    03-27-2015 02:18 PM