Why does Lollipop suck so bad?

A

AC Question

Takes me 3 screen to mute my phone. When I want to call someone I am asked to select a default phone number EVERY SINGLE TIME. When I do place a call 50% of the time nothing happens I have to re-enter the number as many as 3 times to get the phone to work. Who developed this update, a bunch of college grads with no thought to user experience. Ugh.....never thought I'd say it but maybe apple is better

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Takes me 3 screen to mute my phone. When I want to call someone I am asked to select a default phone number EVERY SINGLE TIME. When I do place a call 50% of the time nothing happens I have to re-enter the number as many as 3 times to get the phone to work. Who developed this update, a bunch of college grads with no thought to user experience. Ugh.....never thought I'd say it but maybe apple is better

Have you tried doing a factory reset?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, most of the time this helps. Truly. Not the mute thing, sadly, but all other issues are NOT a part of the normal Lollipop experience. And take this coming from someone who does NOT want Lollipop because of the new Interrruptions System (part of the 'Mute' problem) and their new, iPhone-like notification system. But those are two very different things than system-wide issues like bad calls or bugs.

Bob Atkins

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I always like reading the usual suggestion reset your phone to factory defaults this is the cure all for the world's crap software problems.

Will let me tell you if you have the misfortune of having to reset your phone to factory defaults while you running lollipop you are screwed beyond your wildest nightmares. Because lollipop restricts all apps to only being installed in internal memory it is impossible to restore your phone from a backup because inevitably the phone runs out of internal memory so you end up with this completely corrupt piece of crap paperweight. To add insult to injury the phone is not backed up in its entirety to Google so although your apps and restore all of the settings for your apps do not.

So there's no question in my mind that Android is written by a bunch of an experienced coders you have no idea at all what regular users are going to go through with their software.

I have over 30 years of experience in software development and network integration and I can tell you that the software in this phone while it is very impressive what you can do with it it is out early crap it has no sensible integration testing anything like that done these phones can still barely make a phone call and sms. it's terrible to see the quality of software that's being put out in the market place that people are expected to buy and live with.

I truly pity anyone who does not have a throat and logical background dealing with these kind of phones.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I always like reading the usual suggestion reset your phone to factory defaults this is the cure all for the world's crap software problems.

Will let me tell you if you have the misfortune of having to reset your phone to factory defaults while you running lollipop you are screwed beyond your wildest nightmares. Because lollipop restricts all apps to only being installed in internal memory it is impossible to restore your phone from a backup because inevitably the phone runs out of internal memory so you end up with this completely corrupt piece of crap paperweight. To add insult to injury the phone is not backed up in its entirety to Google so although your apps and restore all of the settings for your apps do not.

So there's no question in my mind that Android is written by a bunch of an experienced coders you have no idea at all what regular users are going to go through with their software.

I have over 30 years of experience in software development and network integration and I can tell you that the software in this phone while it is very impressive what you can do with it it is out early crap it has no sensible integration testing anything like that done these phones can still barely make a phone call and sms. it's terrible to see the quality of software that's being put out in the market place that people are expected to buy and live with.

I truly pity anyone who does not have a throat and logical background dealing with these kind of phones.

The issue isn't really the size of the code, but the internal memory built into the device by the OEM. Android is a base code. Other OEMs come along, make changes and therefore, make the system partition of the OS bigger. Look at the Galaxy S4. Had almost 9 GB for just the OS, when the base OS was about 5 GB.

rcunningham

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Performing a reset doesn't add data it removes it. So therefore there is no way it could corrupt your phone. I have done resets on my LG Ultimate 2 and my LG Leon and never had a issue.

The coders can't just do whatever they want, it takes time and research to get things to work right. I do have to agree with you on why the coders didn't allow one to restore data until Android Marshmallow, should've been there in Jellybean.

Since the release of Android Marshmallow I have full faith in the quality of Android software.