How do I transfer apps on my SD?

A

AC Question

how do i transfer apps on sd?

My old sd card was 2 gbs and my new one is 16 gbs and I have alot of important data on the apps. My phone doesn't have enough room for me to take some of them off. How do I transfer the data from one sd card to the other without deleting any of the apps

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: how do i transfer apps on sd?

Which phone and which OS are you running, those are always key factors in what you want to do. I would put your microSD into a card reader and move the data files off the card. As for the apps, you will have to move what you put on the card back onto the phone, if you can't due to lack of space, well perhaps a factory reset, and start d/l the apps 1-2 at a time with the 16GB card in the slot and move the apps over once the d/l is done.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do i transfer apps on sd?

If it's data, use a card reader. Plug the card in the reader into a PC, create a folder on the desktop and open it. Open a window to the card reader. Hit ctrl-A (select All) and drag everything to the folder. Take out the card reader, replace the 2GB card with the 16GB card, plug it back in, go to the folder you made, ctrl-A, drag everything to the card. If you have a dual card reader, like the Anker, you can put both cards in at once and just drag all the folders and files from the old card to the new one.

If you're talking about apps you "moved" to the card, you have to move them back to the phone, swap cards, them move them back to the card. They're not files, they're bytes of data located on specific blocks on the card, and they have to be on those blocks. They won't be even if you clone the card. (You don't really move the app to the card, you move chunks of code from the app to the card and leave links in the phone pointing to the location on the card that the chunk was put.) Android runs apps from internal storage - "moving" them to the card is a trick that Android can't know about, or it won't run them. (It also can't run system apps or widgets from the card, even if chunks are moved.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21