Google music player ,help?

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
First of all I have read the "help" section in the Google music player and either I am clueless or its not there what I am looking for. I come from the old school way of playing music, pop a CD in and press play!!!! Lol.......

Someone please break it down for me.
Basically what I am wanting to know is.

when I add a song to "my Libary" where is it stored?

When I actually download it not buy it how is Stored and since I downloaded it am I using data to play it at streaming rate?

When I buy a song I know it is stored to the devices but when I play it is it using data? And is data consumption the same as streaming?

320kb per minute for a song so roughly 8 hrs of music consumes a GB according to my calculations....

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
If you purchase a song in Google Music it is not download to your phone unless you specifically click that option on that song (little download arrow next to song) Once they are downloaded they are stored in the Google Music app data folder on the phone. If you have them downloaded you are not using data, if you do not have them specifically downloaded then you are streaming them and using data.

Current devices - T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4, Surface Pro 3 Core I5, and Nexus 9

Past Devices - Phones: Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, HTC Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO, HTC Hero, Motorola Photon.

Tablets: Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 7 (2012), Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Windows 8.1, Dell Venue 8, Galaxy Tab Pro, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8, Kindle Fire HD 8.4, Kindle Fire HD 7, Kindle Fire, iPad 2, iPad 1, Nook HD, Nook.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You can use GoogleMusic to store upto 20k songs online and access them via the internet service. If you put the math together you will see that 1024kb is 1MB, 1024MB is 1GB, and so on. So 320kb per minute x 60 minutes = 19,200kb divided by 1024 = 18.75MB per hour and 18.75MB x 8 hours = 150MB. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I would think is the math.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
You can use GoogleMusic to store upto 20k songs online and access them via the internet service. If you put the math together you will see that 1024kb is 1MB, 1024MB is 1GB, and so on. So 320kb per minute x 60 minutes = 19,200kb divided by 1024 = 18.75MB per hour and 18.75MB x 8 hours = 150MB. I could be completely wrong, but that is what I would think is the math.

I thought songs where 320kb per minute using google play,Spotify and 64kb for Pandora according to what I read...

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If you purchase a song in Google Music it is not download to your phone unless you specifically click that option on that song (little download arrow next to song) Once they are downloaded they are stored in the Google Music app data folder on the phone. If you have them downloaded you are not using data, if you do not have them specifically downloaded then you are streaming them and using data.

Current devices - T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4, Surface Pro 3 Core I5, and Nexus 9

Past Devices - Phones: Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, HTC Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO, HTC Hero, Motorola Photon.

Tablets: Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 7 (2012), Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Windows 8.1, Dell Venue 8, Galaxy Tab Pro, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8, Kindle Fire HD 8.4, Kindle Fire HD 7, Kindle Fire, iPad 2, iPad 1, Nook HD, Nook.

OK... That makes sense to me......
So is by downloading it your using storage space not data usage...

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
OK... That makes sense to me......
So is by downloading it your using storage space not data usage...

Correct. I wouldn't go crazy and start downloading every album you have. What I do is make a playlist and download that playlist only. I have a lot of play list so I will download a couple at a time. I remove them when i get tired of them and just download a new one. That is mainly for when and if I travel. I have unlimited data with T-Mobile so I can stream as much as I want.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Correct. I wouldn't go crazy and start downloading every album you have. What I do is make a playlist and download that playlist only. I have a lot of play list so I will download a couple at a time. I remove them when i get tired of them and just download a new one. That is mainly for when and if I travel. I have unlimited data with T-Mobile so I can stream as much as I want.

Well ya that would bring a whole another problem.... Storage space ...lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm