Why did my GPS stop working? (since Android 5.0.1 update)

A

AC Question

GPS stopped working!
(unending "Finding Location" prompt since Android 5.0.1)

Shortly after getting the Android update my GPS stopped working all together. I have tried everything i could think of. Uninstalled all recent apps, hard reboot, GPS testing app, full phone diagnostic apps, finally COMPLETE phone wipe re-installing everything. Nothing has worked! I am desperate. I use GPS all the time, not a single app, nor the phone itself can get the GPS to get a location fix. No matter what i do, the phone eternally says "Finding Location" for every single GPS using app, diagnostics or otherwise.

It is just a stock Verizon HTC One M8. A brand spanking new one, never dropped, stock Verizon/Android OS, like literally pristine new! Since the phone is not rooted i have no real way of rolling back to an older Android version correct? I noticed there was only one other post with the same exact symptoms posted about 3 months ago that went without any answer/responses since. So... am i SOL? I tried initiating Verizon support on Twitter, but they think its a specific app problem... *sigh*

Any help is greatly appreciated!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
GPS stopped working!
(unending "Finding Location" prompt since Android 5.0.1)

Shortly after getting the Android update my GPS stopped working all together. I have tried everything i could think of. Uninstalled all recent apps, hard reboot, GPS testing app, full phone diagnostic apps, finally COMPLETE phone wipe re-installing everything. Nothing has worked! I am desperate. I use GPS all the time, not a single app, nor the phone itself can get the GPS to get a location fix. No matter what i do, the phone eternally says "Finding Location" for every single GPS using app, diagnostics or otherwise.

It is just a stock Verizon HTC One M8. A brand spanking new one, never dropped, stock Verizon/Android OS, like literally pristine new! Since the phone is not rooted i have no real way of rolling back to an older Android version correct? I noticed there was only one other post with the same exact symptoms posted about 3 months ago that went without any answer/responses since. So... am i SOL? I tried initiating Verizon support on Twitter, but they think its a specific app problem... *sigh*

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You are probably going to have to do a factory data reset. It would seem that all the updates rolling out for Lollipop is causing a lot of issues with a lot of phones. Most issues are resolved after the user does a factory reset of their device.

derps079

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Tried that. No luck. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
I have now been trying to troubleshoot across 3 forums, Verizon support, Android support and now finally back with HTC.

It is looking more and more like hardware is faulty. The phone is a refurb issued by the HTC advantage program and apparently during phone teardown it is easy to bend/damage the GPS contacts. Heads up to HTC owners they do NOT replace with new phones and they do not freely advertise this fact. If I had known I would have just bought a whole new phone.

Anyway, cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781