How can I get my external sd card out of read only mode?

A

AC Question

about my external sd card

I have updated my micromax canvas 2 colors a120 to kitkat my sd card is hang on only read only mode i can't get new songs videos and apps on my sd card plz give me the solution....

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: about my external sd card

I have updated my micromax canvas 2 colors a120 to kitkat my sd card is hang on only read only mode i can't get new songs videos and apps on my sd card plz give me the solution....
Check your SD card. Often times there is a switch (hardware) that prevents it from being re-written.

If that's not the case, have you re-formatted the SD card to see if that helps? Be sure to backup your contents before hand.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: about my external sd card

Since KitKat, the external SD card is no longer external storage, it's part of the file system, so an app can only write to a folder it has write rights to. Existing folders don't have rights for any apps. You have 2 choices:

1) Put the card into a card reader, plug it into a PC and rename all the folders you're having a problem with. (I just add a "1" or an "x" to the end of the name.) Put the card back into the phone and run each app, telling it to save to external storage,. Put the card back into the card reader, plug it into the computer and move each app's files from its old folder to its new folder, then delete the empty old folders. Put the card back into the phone.

2) Root the phone, then run NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root). It changes the overall permissions for the card. (You could do it manually too, but the phone does have to be rooted in either case.)

BTW, full size SD cards have write-protect switches, microSD cards don't.