no SMB over android VPN

A

AC Question

i set up the built-in VPN in android, and followed a guide (i cannot post link :( ) to get Windows 8.1 VPN server working
The android has a key icon in status bar and Windows says "1 client connected"
but
i have always been able to get to PC files via an SMB connection in ES file Explorer when on the Home Wifi
but, when i am on 3g/4g, (no WiFi, no hotspots etc)and get the key icon,
then how do i get access?
i have tried my fixed ip-address/c$ (and similar) as an SMB but that doesnt work
help greatly appreciated

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
i set up the built-in VPN in android, and followed a guide (i cannot post link :( ) to get Windows 8.1 VPN server working
The android has a key icon in status bar and Windows says "1 client connected"
but
i have always been able to get to PC files via an SMB connection in ES file Explorer when on the Home Wifi
but, when i am on 3g/4g, (no WiFi, no hotspots etc)and get the key icon,
then how do i get access?
i have tried my fixed ip-address/c$ (and similar) as an SMB but that doesnt work
help greatly appreciated

Welcome to Android Central!

Did you set up port forwarding on your router for the SMB? You will also have to use your actual IP address vs an internal IP address (192.168.1.1) You will need to plug in the internet IP in to the phone and connect via that IP. You will need to then set up port forwarding on your router to the port where the VPN serer is. Server - 192.168.1.5:2102 example.

Zachary McAdam

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
yes, the phone connects using my fixed IP address, i get the KEY icon (up by the status bar), the PC says 1 connected user
BUT
once that is done, how do i access the files?
in ES explorer on the local wifi it isnt a problem, i connect SMB to the PC (192.168.1.161) because i have an IP of 192.168.1.78
but when on 3g i dont have a local IP address
i GUESS i was expecting the VPN to give me a local IP so i could connect in the usual way

so how DO i get my files?
thanks

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
yes, the phone connects using my fixed IP address, i get the KEY icon (up by the status bar), the PC says 1 connected user
BUT
once that is done, how do i access the files?
in ES explorer on the local wifi it isnt a problem, i connect SMB to the PC (192.168.1.161) because i have an IP of 192.168.1.78
but when on 3g i dont have a local IP address
i GUESS i was expecting the VPN to give me a local IP so i could connect in the usual way

so how DO i get my files?
thanks

On your home PC go to Google and search what's my ip. It will give you the actual ip address your ISP gives you. That's the IP you need to connect to if you want to do it over 3G. You will need to set up port forwarding on your router to let the traffic come through and forward to that machine.

Current devices: T-Mobile Galaxy S6, Surface Pro 3 Core I5, Nexus 9, and Moto 360

Past Devices - Phones: Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, HTC Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO, HTC Hero, Motorola Photon.

Tablets: Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 7 (2012), Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Windows 8.1, Dell Venue 8, Galaxy Tab Pro, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8, Kindle Fire HD 8.4, Kindle Fire HD 7, Kindle Fire, iPad 2, iPad 1, Nook HD, Nook.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

BigP93

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi! I've got the same problem, two years after your question.
Were ou able to solve this problem?
I tried many SMB apps: on Wifi they work, but with 3g/3g they can't upload files to remote server (they can download).

Sorry for re-opening this thread after two years.

BigP93

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the answer, Rukbat.
I'm working with the network administrator of a company to solve this problem, we are testing if it's possible to send files via VPN and SMB protocol accessing to the Active Directory of the server.

We'll try using FTP too, but we prefer using SMB if possible. Thank you anyway