What is normal ram usage for a SM-T520? How do you get root permission to optimize ram?

A

AC Question

I constantly am running at 1.2 to 1.5 or gig or higher on ram.... is this normal or is too much running in the background?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Tab Pro 10.1 has 2 GB of RAM, so 60-70% RAM usage is pretty normal. I'd be concerned if it was always pushing 80-90%. Be aware that "RAM cleaner" apps (which are mostly useless--don't use them) often use a lot of RAM themselves, so that if you check the RAM usage with a RAM cleaner app, it will often show 90% usage. Exit out of the RAM cleaner app and look at the RAM usage using the system menu, and it'll be back to 60-70%.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Read Multitasking the Android Way (written by someone who had a part in developing Android, so she kind of understand how it works). What's "normal" RAM usage? As much as possible. As she says, unused RAM is wasted RAM. I wouldn't be concerned if RAM usage was almost always at 90% or a little more. This is Android, not Windows. (Normal RAM usage in Windows is 50%-75% if you're running a lot of things - if it's more, you need more RAM. For the kind of usage a phone gives the system, in Windows RAM usage should be 25% or less. But again, this is Android, not Windows.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's true that ideally, 90% RAM usage shouldn't matter--however, I have noticed that slowdown on some of my devices has been associated with high RAM usage, so it may still act as a sign of a misbehaving app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12