Hey all,

I'm experiencing some odd behaviour when trying to manage my music collection through Google Play Music.

I've uploaded around 89 GB of music to Google Music with the intend of getting most of it downloaded to my HTC One M8. In order to achieve this I created around 19 playlists (1K of songs each) and then set my HTC to download each playlist. Although I only have a 64GB SD card I had assumed I'd get most of it downloaded (well 70% anyway). However, I found that I didn't even manage to get 50% downloaded before the SD card filled up. Very strange.

I finally figured out that if I downloaded the very last playlist through the web interface which only had 430 songs, the playlist size on my hard disk was around 2.1 GB once completed but the google music app reported it as 3.6 GB on the HTC.

Can anybody shed any light? The only thing I can come up with is that Google is doing some form of music matching against its own library and that they are storing higher bitrate music than I am and that the google music app is downloading Google's version rather than mine?

Cheers

Nigel
    04-06-2015 09:09 AM
    Hey all,

I'm experiencing some odd behaviour when trying to manage my music collection through Google Play Music.

I've uploaded around 89 GB of music to Google Music with the intend of getting most of it downloaded to my HTC One M8. In order to achieve this I created around 19 playlists (1K of songs each) and then set my HTC to download each playlist. Although I only have a 64GB SD card I had assumed I'd get most of it downloaded (well 70% anyway). However, I found that I didn't even manage to get 50% downloaded before the SD card filled up. Very strange.

I finally figured out that if I downloaded the very last playlist through the web interface which only had 430 songs, the playlist size on my hard disk was around 2.1 GB once completed but the google music app reported it as 3.6 GB on the HTC.

Can anybody shed any light? The only thing I can come up with is that Google is doing some form of music matching against its own library and that they are storing higher bitrate music than I am and that the google music app is downloading Google's version rather than mine?

Cheers

Nigel
    Welcome to Android Central!

I thought that Google compressed most of the music you uploaded. Did you ever figure out why the playlist was downloading so large?
    04-08-2015 07:15 AM
    Hey Jax,

I doubt it considering MP3's are already compressed............

N.
    04-09-2015 02:38 PM