Grey wifi icon - gets blue after apps installation.

A

AC Question

Hello,

Recently, I have encountered a strange problem. My tablet Prestigio PMP5770D (rooted Jelly Bean 4.1.1) somehow got grey wifi icon bug. I'm not sure how, but it could have started after copying files to the tablet via USB. Before was working fine. I've noticed that it gets back to blue color only after installing some apps from Google Play Store. When wifi icon is grey I don't get notifications (like with no connection to Google servers). However, Play Store and other Google apps work fine. I've tried switching on and off router, forgetting my wifi,clearing Google Play Services and Google Play Store cache, deleting google account, wiping cache in this boot menu, modyfying hosts file (in etc folder), clearing cache from Google Services Framework, I even did a factory reset and it didn't help. During setting everything up from scratch on my tablet after factory reset, I had problems with downloading apps (stopping during download process, installing after killing Play Store app and launching it again) and granting root access (Root Checker (for the first time it got root rights), Clean Master and problems with loading of Google apps).
Does somebody know what to do ? Can this problem be somehow connected with the change of a router which I did 2 week ago ?
Thanks in advance for help.

edlector

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I have exactly the same problem and I tried all that solutions, without successfull. But I think that I've found the reason of this problem, it's the latest update of Google Play Services (version 7.0.99), released Mar 31, 2015, just the 2 weeks ago that you mentioned. If I downgrade to the factory version all is fine. The thing is that this service is automatically updated when you are connected to Internet.
Sorry for my English.

Sparrow93

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear that :( I suppose that it is as You mentioned. There is little we can do about it. Maybe someone has some kind of fix for this issue. I'll try to dig further this problem when I get the time.

edlector

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
In my case the problem is not in a tablet, it's in a smartphone Cubot GT99. I think that should be a lot people with the same problem (in fact if you search for "android wifi gray icon" there is a lot of entries) since two weeks ago (when Google released this problematic version of Google Play Services), but probably most of them don't realize about the wifi icon turns blue when you install an app.

Sparrow93

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
You may be right. I thought about having problems with Google Play Services where clearing cache doesn't help. Personally, I have clear cache and clear data options greyed out. Do You have them like that too ?

edlector

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
In my device that buttons are not grayed, I can click on them. I tried all possible combinations clear data, clear cache, in Google Play Services, Google Services Framework and Google Play Store. No fix.

Yes, downgrading Google Play Services solves the problem but after a time it will auto upgrade. On the other hand some apps, like Gmail, need that Google Play Services is updated or not work (or downgrade Gmail too).

edlector

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I have not had such luck. I've installed the latest apk (manually, not auto-update) of Google Play Services and Google Play Store, when I rebooted the device the wifi icon is gray again.
Please, can you reboot your tablet and check if the wifi icon turns blue?

pantezuma

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi to all.
I was lucky and guess I found what the source of the problem is.
I'm running an old S2 with a Custom 4.1.2 Rom (Don't know if the problem arises on newer Roms).
It seems that current Google Play Services disables GtalkService from Google Services Framework. (To be strict it doesn't disables it, but its not running as I guess it should).
I placed a script in init.d folder in order to start the service everytime I boot the device and it seems to be working (Blue icons over wifi and 3g and no loss of notifications).
Hope this helps and sorry for my english!
Best regards.

uite

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi to all.
I was lucky and guess I found what the source of the problem is.
I'm running an old S2 with a Custom 4.1.2 Rom (Don't know if the problem arises on newer Roms).
It seems that current Google Play Services disables GtalkService from Google Services Framework. (To be strict it doesn't disables it, but its not running as I guess it should).
I placed a script in init.d folder in order to start the service everytime I boot the device and it seems to be working (Blue icons over wifi and 3g and no loss of notifications).
Hope this helps and sorry for my english!
Best regards.

Hi, can you post your init.d script? Thanks

Edit: nevermind, i found the right command, just type this in a terminal emulator or in an init.d script:

su -c am startservice -n com.google.android.gsf/.gtalkservice.service.GTalkService

Last edited:

pantezuma

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Yes the script I made is quite similar to yours:

#!/system/bin/sh
sleep 30
am startservice -n com.google.android.gsf/.gtalkservice.service.GTalkService

It's been more than a week and so far so good.
Hope this helps!

uite

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi! Yes the script I made is quite similar to yours:

#!/system/bin/sh
sleep 30
am startservice -n com.google.android.gsf/.gtalkservice.service.GTalkService

It's been more than a week and so far so good.
Hope this helps!

Yes, this is perfect solution, just asking my self why that service doesn't automatically start anymore... also why only few users have this bug

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX