Concerned with Trojan "message" while browsing

A

AC Question

Hi there, recently bought a new Galaxy Tab, very happy with it.
I was reading an article on the Daily Mail website when I found myself being redirected to another website. My initial thought was that I must have accidentally tapped an advert when trying to scroll down the page.

The URL was something like virusscanner blah blah. The website was blank and immediately opened a pop up message in the center of my screen saying something along the lines of:

"Your Android device is infected with Trojan: blah blah. Click OK to remove the virus".

My immediate reaction was to touch nothing and to turn off the device (hence I can't provide many specific details!).

Upon turning the device back on a immediately downloaded AVG for android and did a full scan, It found nothing.
I'm still a little spooked by the incident as I consider myself a careful web user. I'm still not entirely satisfied that I am virus free, is there anything else I can do or is the general consensus that I'm fine?

Thanks very much,
Kevin.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That sounds very much like a popup browser ad that uses scare tactics to try to get you to install some bogus security app (that's probably malicious itself). Don't worry about it, as long as you didn't tap on any of the links. In the future, if you see that, just tap the back button, or go to the task manager and close the browser. Probably best to avoid the Daily Mail site at this point.

If the browser has an option to block popups, make sure it's turned on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz