Apps on Nexus 4 no longer working

A

AC Question

Hi,

I have an unrooted Nexus 4 with version 5.0.1. Recently I got the notification for the 5.1 Lollipop update. I downloaded it but didn't install it yet, seeing as I didn't want to reset my phone at the moment. I tapped "Later" and it chilled in the background.

The next morning, my phone had frozen. I could only turn the screen on and off. I reset my phone then and the touch screen worked again, but I can't use any apps since. For instance, if I open Gmail or Google Play Store, it just shows a white screen and stops doing anything. Widgets have disappeared from my home screen and if I try to add them my phone stops responding as well. I've reset it a couple times now, even through the bootloader, but there's still no change.

I'm thinking I might need to do a factory reset, but I've never set up a backup account and now my phone won't let me. My other option seems to be to wait until I get the notification for the 5.1 update back again and it'll smooth over any problems it caused in the first place. But that could take a week and I need my phone, and besides if simple apps aren't functioning, I'm not too sure an entire update will either.

I think the update may still be hidden on my phone, seeing as my Google Play Services app is 157 MB and the update was 147 MB. When I tap "System updates" the screen goes white, black, and back to the same screen as before.

Does anyone have any advice? Or do I have no other option but to do a factory reset? I would really rather not because it's going to be a pain to reinstall all my apps and I'm not sure what other things I would lose. I'm starting to get a little desperate, though. Just resetting my phone used to be enough when I encountered any sort of problem. Any help would greatly be appreciated.