S6 edge - black screen - no response. What could be wrong?

A

AC Question

S6 edge - black screen - no response

Hi,

I have a blue notification light flashing so I know its still powered on but the phone will not respond to any button presses.

I've tried resetting it using the power/home/vol up combination but still no response from the phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mohamed Ben Othman

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody !

Anyone has found the solution? I think the problem come from the new android update (5.1.1).
I tried all solutions : wipe cache data, hard reset, recovery mode, etc..

If anyone has a solution, please let me know..

GALAXY S6 32GB

jayeshjmehta

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
LeoRex*said:04-24-2015*08:40 AM

By the way.... if this is what I think it is, it is called the "Sleep of Death" or "SOD"... if you read around, you might see

LeoRex thanks a lot this got me started am surprised samsung support could not do so.i forgot my password but went through the process so i can THANK YOU

Richard Bustos

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I think my phone might be in Sleep of Death, maybe something different? Placed it to charge last night at about 5% with the last thing I did being, a voice command for an alarm. Screen then turned off after success.

I woke up to no alarm, I checked the wireless charger and the led was still red, and screen unresponsive. I've tried wireless charging and multiple other chargers. Tried the power vol. down combo for 7 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute. Tried volume up and volume down, power, and home in different combos.

What worries me is that the phone is off, my calls go straight to voicemail and my watch is disconnected. No charging animations. The only thing that's on is the red charging led that won't go away, no way that it will drain the battery completely, I think that would help.

Heeelp? :(

USMC6670

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
This is a bug in the samsung software.
My s6 went to 2 percent last night and it may be tied to the power saver. I have a lock on my screen with a number. I figured I would be getting a new fone today as mine is only 2 weeks old so went to back it up on my PC. It needed to be unlocked so I used my old S4 next to it to unlock it to backup to my pc before taking to the store and was able to unlock it. It immediately went normal and my screen came back up.

I would say never let it get below 15 to 20% and possibly turn off power saver.... There is nothing on the web about it and the manual is a joke. All you see is the white X in the lower right corner that goes away as you push the power button...and comes back on if you try to do anything. So it was a fluke that I was able to get it working but Samsung needs to fix this bug as it is a major one...this should never happen.

If you have a password protect on yours and can figure where the buttons are you can unlock it and it will work again.
Regards...

Erick Lin

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thank you for sharing the tips. My galaxy S6 edge is about 2 months old, the first two weeks, my samsung got SOD, black screen and blue light blinking.

I have tried all combos listed in this forum, Volume down + power button, volume up+power button + home button, it did not work. Somehow it popped up the notification for reset after i gave up and considered returning the cell phone to seller.

Today my cell phone got SOD again, the first one today, I push volume down + power button for about 10 seconds, it worked and restarted.

Then 2 hours later after i left my cell phone at the sofa, it went to SOD and I touched the cell phone was warm hot.

I tried all magic combos, it did not work. I plug it in with charger to electricity outlet, it did not respond anything. I also plugged it into my computer, my computer did not read the cellphone and it is still black the display.

I hope it can go back to normal as I have not backed up yet my precious data (picture and video of my 1.5 years son).

Please help! any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

zaakzus

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Greetings I also have a similar problem on my S6 edge. I left it to charge and came back. phone was working I answered a phone call and after the call the screen was black. even e touch screen is working cos i'm able to answer calls. but the screen has gone black. I thought maybe it was over heating / over charging since it was hot. I put it down for a whle. it became cold now so I did the force restart with the power and volume down buttons. phone restarts perfectly but I still don't see anything on the screen. still black. but everything is working on the phone. I need help pls

imtiaz rasool

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi, i m facing same issue, my s6 edge plus Go to Sleep to death, and i know how to restart it, but i want to find the cause of pfoblem, i cant replace phone as i bought used device, is there any crash log for android?

Rhumbo

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

My edge was acting up yesterday so I restarted and on the restart it began updating, so I left it for a while. It seems to freeze on this installation and was non-responsive, with just the box saying installing/updating, so i had to wait for it to run out of battery overnight.

Btw I dont think ive tried to install or do anything dodgy with the phone.

Charged it up and the green power box saying 100% was visible, so a decent sign I thought.
Then turned it on and the opening android screen comes on for a couple of seconds. Then just a black screen, no response at all.
The light flashes blue then green every second,

I have tried:
- volume down + power and it restarts to the android opening screen but then nothing after, same black screen with green and blue light.

- I thought it was pressing all the buttons and a green screen came up warning me about installing a custom OS, saying press volume up to continue or volume down to cancel. So I pressed volume down and it went black again and I've not been able to get back to it since.

Any thoughts guys? I'm supposed to have a date this afternoon and can only contact them through my phone. Feel very rude not replying! :( ha! Ant help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Jamjay106

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Just had a worrying black screen of death with no blue or red light, simply went to my phone on the couch & the S6 (around 2 months old) had completely died where it had been working before. Nothing seemed to work except by trial & error I found pressing the power & volume down buttons simultaneously (normally associated with factory reset) brought up the 'battery on charge screen'. From here I pressed the power button again & it started up normally. The only thing that stands out is that yesterday I installed Speedchecker App by Speedchecker Ltd which did seem to carry some bloatware with it. Needless to say I've immediately trashed this application.

usui26

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem on may Samsung galaxy s6 edge plus that the battery icon is popping out continuously on the screen with a black and blue linings on the back I don't know what happens I have this phone for a month pls help me . i was charging it when suddenly my mom called me I was talking with my friend and I put my phone on my pocket and when I checked it suddenly it'd turned off.

Last edited:

khaledfargoun

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have a blue notification light flashing so I know its still powered on but the phone Samsung S6 will not respond to any button presses.

I've tried resetting it using the power/home/vol up combination but still no response from the phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dawn Busch

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you I was having an issue where my screen went black and my phone wasn't respinding. The last thing I did was text my sister then placed it in it charger and went to bed. I woke to the blue indicator and when I went to wake up my phone it didn't respond. I found this forum. I tried holding the power down button for 10-15 seconds and that didn't work. But when I continued reading, I tried the power key and down volume key and was able to restart my phone. I'm so happy that worked.

Kingjars212

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: S6 edge - black screen - no response

Any accidents beforehand, such as drops, impacts, or liquids?

Posted via the Android Central App
So I went last night to the LIC PR and yeah the phone got really wet, when I got into the car it powered off cuz of the battery, when I got home I started charging it and immediately a blue screen came up and said downloading do not turn off target, left it alone for 10 minutes and still like that so I unplugged the charger and let the phone die. By the time I woke up in the morning everything was working great, until later in the day the phone started going off, the screen going black but it came up again, it did this about 4 times until the last time it went black I hasn't come up yet and im really worried cuz I got this phone in October. Everything works, buttons, sound whatever but not the screen, tried the ,methods of bringing it back but nothing, the vol down/ power button tried that 3 times and nothing. can somebody help, thank you.

victorchang69

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I had recently dropped my phone and cracked the screen however it was a low drop and only cracked the top layer. I could still use my phone as usual with no problem and everything worked fine, apps, calls, text etc. One day i left it on my table and when i came to get it i couldnt turn it on. i tried my camera function by pressing home button 4 times to check if it was okay and it all still works as the s6 has a sensor on the back to take selfies. i cant recieve calls but the screen is still black and i cant touch the screen. i cant still listen to music via headset using the headsets buttons to resume play. ive done all the reseting (volume down or up, power button etc) many times but still nothing. i have heard it reset but the screen remains blank. Any ideas?

Darsidehop

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I have a Galaxy S6 that is 3 weeks old, OS is Marshmallow it also did a system update last week.
The phone has not been dropped or got wet, not been rooted or had any type of modification.
Phone was fine when I got up but when I got to work the Blue notification light was blinking, I pressed home button nothing happened, likewise the power button, nothing just black screen and blue notification light.

After some research I followed the following instructions:-

Press and hold the POWER button and the Volume DOWN button at the same time and hold for at least 7 seconds.
It will reboot and clear the fault.

But I would like to know what has caused this to happen on such a new phone.

Cheers

Ashleighbeese

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I have, what I think, is SOD on my S6 with a twist. I have the blue light shifting from teal to blue and a completely black screen. I've tried all the power+volume+home variations with no luck. The twist is that when I press and hold any buttons for a couple seconds, I get a quick white flicker across the top of the screen. It's quick as a flash and looks like static on an old TV, and it's just a small strip across the top of the screen. Screen is cracked but the phone has been working fine until now, I was checking email and everything earlier. I'm out of the country and on vaca so can't really take it in to Sprint or call Sprint. Help?

Summerlady

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Whew! I tried holding the down volume key and power on my S6 at the same time, and it came alive after me panicking because the screen was blank.I thought my phone was stuffed! Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.. Wendy.. :) NZ