S6 edge - black screen - no response. What could be wrong?

A

AC Question

S6 edge - black screen - no response

Hi,

I have a blue notification light flashing so I know its still powered on but the phone will not respond to any button presses.

I've tried resetting it using the power/home/vol up combination but still no response from the phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Terry0982

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 edge - black screen - no response

No, it was just resting on my desk. I've taken a phone call on it this morning and checked emails etc.

When I picked it up to use it again it wan unresponsive?

If I call the number from another phone it goes straight to voice mail too.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome as a new member. :)

I've passed your question on to more knowledgeable members. Stand by for a reply in due course.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

By the way.... if this is what I think it is, it is called the "Sleep of Death" or "SOD"... if you read around, you might see that pop up from time to time. What is going on is that when you turn off the screen, your phone will eventually go into what is called 'deep sleep'... it is a low-power mode that puts the phone into a kind of suspended animation to conserve power. It wakes up automatically from time to time to do things like check email or take a call or SMS, but when you hit the home button or power button, it is supposed to then wake the phone up.

An SOD occurs when the something causes the phone to not be able to trigger that wake up... it is a fairly common problem for people who run custom ROMs or kernels, especially for newer phones (takes some time for custom devs to work out the kinks).

Have you made any system modifications to the phone? Like rooting your phone? Rooting a phone wouldn't cause this, but some kind of tool that fusses with your system software could.

In any case... keep an eye on it. If it happens again, then it might be a sign of something wrong with your phone... if it does occur again, I would suggest you do a factory reset (yeah, I know, those kind of stink). This may clear out whatever is causing your phone fits. If it STILL happens after that, you might want to get it replaced.

Terry0982

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

By the way.... if this is what I think it is, it is called the "Sleep of Death" or "SOD"... if you read around, you might see that pop up from time to time. What is going on is that when you turn off the screen, your phone will eventually go into what is called 'deep sleep'... it is a low-power mode that puts the phone into a kind of suspended animation to conserve power. It wakes up automatically from time to time to do things like check email or take a call or SMS, but when you hit the home button or power button, it is supposed to then wake the phone up.

An SOD occurs when the something causes the phone to not be able to trigger that wake up... it is a fairly common problem for people who run custom ROMs or kernels, especially for newer phones (takes some time for custom devs to work out the kinks).

Have you made any system modifications to the phone? Like rooting your phone? Rooting a phone wouldn't cause this, but some kind of tool that fusses with your system software could.

In any case... keep an eye on it. If it happens again, then it might be a sign of something wrong with your phone... if it does occur again, I would suggest you do a factory reset (yeah, I know, those kind of stink). This may clear out whatever is causing your phone fits. If it STILL happens after that, you might want to get it replaced.

I've not installed any custom roms. Just installed a few apps from the store.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I've not installed any custom roms. Just installed a few apps from the store.

Oh.. I wasn't implying that you had.... it is just that these kinds of faults aren't as common on stock software...

Press and hold the Power key and the Volume down key simultaneously for more than 7 seconds to restart it.

Terry0982

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Oh.. I wasn't implying that you had.... it is just that these kinds of faults aren't as common on stock software...

Press and hold the Power key and the Volume down key simultaneously for more than 7 seconds to restart it.

Sorry I didn't mean for that to sound as though you implied that I had... Just letting you know that I hadn't to rule it out.

Strange thing has happened though. I've arrived home from work and my phone woke up within seconds of entering the house. Anyone know why that might be or is it just a coincidence it's just sorted itself out... I was wondering if it had anything to do with connecting to work WiFi and then my home WiFi?

Thanks for the advise anyway... Much appreciated.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Actually, it could very well have been the connection to WiFi... The mobile to WiFi switch over would need to wake up the phone, so it could have slapped it around enough to clear the problem.

SODs are fussy. I would keep an eye on it though. If it happens again, and more often, that could mean a serious problem.

SniperElite

May 1, 2015
Visit site

I had exactly the same problem. I actually phoned my supplier and I was told they would exchange it for free but it seems to be working now. Mine didn't come on eventually. I waited for the phone's battery to die I then charged it and was able to switch it back on. Weird though. If anyone knows what causes this please share - Thanks a million.

HadaDumbPhone

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Try disabling all animations with developer options. Currently trying that "fix" after i seen a samsung s owner posted it somewhere. It's been only 3 days though and i haven't had a "SOD".

If it was actually the sleep of death that is your problem. that might help.

Seen a few posts on other webistes and on xda have the sleep of death on stock software so it's more common then you think. I use a nexus 4 and it started happening a little bit after i got lollipop update(never rooted, installed custom roms ect). Some had it before then.

richotez

May 25, 2015
Visit site

I have had the same issue phone is charged was sitting on the bench with the blue notification flashing but unresponsive have pushed volume and andpower button it is now working thanks for all the suggestion helps heaps

HadaDumbPhone

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

For future reference Just a update for people who will search "sleep of death" it's now been 30 days. And i haven't had a single sleep of death since. So try my suggestion it might work fo you.

*update 5/30 I had this occur with kit kat(w/ animation fix) i thought it was a fluke now i have this on 5.1.1(w/ animation fix). I did have 1 "sleep of death" during that time. I had turned off my screen couple seconds later tried to turn it right back on again i couldn't. It just happened now with 5.1.1. So it's really still not fixed but it is way better than it was before.

Last edited:

Johan Anderson

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site

Just had the same problem, put it to charge over night. when I woke up nothing happened. Totally dead except the green notification light flashing in upper left corner.

home+power+volume up, didn't seem to work.

I tried the one with volume down and it seemed to work after a few tries-

fiskfisk

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Same experience here - nothing worked, except for the power down + power button combination for seven seconds. Phone restarted and works perfectly again. Stock fw, updated to the most recent version, stock background on lock screen (from Samsung), regular Galaxy S6 Black.

Josephzaf

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? This SOD thing happens to me maybe 10 times a day. Already did everything including a wipe cache and a factory reset but it still happens. I can't return or claim for warranty since I bought my s6 edge second hand.

agsags

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

this has happened to me when my new phone was 5 days old. I have performed cache wipe, soft boot, and many iterative rounds of factory resets with various levels of reconfiguration/app reinstallation. The problem persists. Neither Samsung nor Verizon claimed they had heard of this problem. Verizon offered a certified like new replacement but recommended I take the phone back to best buy for a new replacement.