Hi,

I have a blue notification light flashing so I know its still powered on but the phone will not respond to any button presses.

I've tried resetting it using the power/home/vol up combination but still no response from the phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    04-24-2015 07:16 AM
    Any accidents beforehand, such as drops, impacts, or liquids?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-24-2015 07:30 AM
    No, it was just resting on my desk. I've taken a phone call on it this morning and checked emails etc.

When I picked it up to use it again it wan unresponsive?

If I call the number from another phone it goes straight to voice mail too.
    04-24-2015 07:44 AM
    Welcome as a new member.

I've passed your question on to more knowledgeable members. Stand by for a reply in due course.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Terry0982 likes this.
    04-24-2015 07:59 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Try holding power for about 10-15 seconds. That will simulate a battery pull.
    belodion likes this.
    04-24-2015 08:30 AM
    By the way.... if this is what I think it is, it is called the "Sleep of Death" or "SOD"... if you read around, you might see that pop up from time to time. What is going on is that when you turn off the screen, your phone will eventually go into what is called 'deep sleep'... it is a low-power mode that puts the phone into a kind of suspended animation to conserve power. It wakes up automatically from time to time to do things like check email or take a call or SMS, but when you hit the home button or power button, it is supposed to then wake the phone up.

An SOD occurs when the something causes the phone to not be able to trigger that wake up... it is a fairly common problem for people who run custom ROMs or kernels, especially for newer phones (takes some time for custom devs to work out the kinks).

Have you made any system modifications to the phone? Like rooting your phone? Rooting a phone wouldn't cause this, but some kind of tool that fusses with your system software could.

In any case... keep an eye on it. If it happens again, then it might be a sign of something wrong with your phone... if it does occur again, I would suggest you do a factory reset (yeah, I know, those kind of stink). This may clear out whatever is causing your phone fits. If it STILL happens after that, you might want to get it replaced.
    willoughby64749 and belodion like this.
    04-24-2015 08:40 AM
    Thanks, unfortunately that didn't do anything to make the phone respond.
    04-24-2015 08:47 AM
    By the way.... if this is what I think it is, it is called the "Sleep of Death" or "SOD"... if you read around, you might see that pop up from time to time. What is going on is that when you turn off the screen, your phone will eventually go into what is called 'deep sleep'... it is a low-power mode that puts the phone into a kind of suspended animation to conserve power. It wakes up automatically from time to time to do things like check email or take a call or SMS, but when you hit the home button or power button, it is supposed to then wake the phone up.

An SOD occurs when the something causes the phone to not be able to trigger that wake up... it is a fairly common problem for people who run custom ROMs or kernels, especially for newer phones (takes some time for custom devs to work out the kinks).

Have you made any system modifications to the phone? Like rooting your phone? Rooting a phone wouldn't cause this, but some kind of tool that fusses with your system software could.

In any case... keep an eye on it. If it happens again, then it might be a sign of something wrong with your phone... if it does occur again, I would suggest you do a factory reset (yeah, I know, those kind of stink). This may clear out whatever is causing your phone fits. If it STILL happens after that, you might want to get it replaced.
    I've not installed any custom roms. Just installed a few apps from the store.
    04-24-2015 09:01 AM
    I've not installed any custom roms. Just installed a few apps from the store.
    Oh.. I wasn't implying that you had.... it is just that these kinds of faults aren't as common on stock software...

Press and hold the Power key and the Volume down key simultaneously for more than 7 seconds to restart it.
    vrixion likes this.
    04-24-2015 10:55 AM
    Oh.. I wasn't implying that you had.... it is just that these kinds of faults aren't as common on stock software...

Press and hold the Power key and the Volume down key simultaneously for more than 7 seconds to restart it.
    Sorry I didn't mean for that to sound as though you implied that I had... Just letting you know that I hadn't to rule it out.

Strange thing has happened though. I've arrived home from work and my phone woke up within seconds of entering the house. Anyone know why that might be or is it just a coincidence it's just sorted itself out... I was wondering if it had anything to do with connecting to work WiFi and then my home WiFi?

Thanks for the advise anyway... Much appreciated.
    04-24-2015 11:28 AM
    Actually, it could very well have been the connection to WiFi... The mobile to WiFi switch over would need to wake up the phone, so it could have slapped it around enough to clear the problem.

SODs are fussy. I would keep an eye on it though. If it happens again, and more often, that could mean a serious problem.
    04-26-2015 05:54 AM
    I had exactly the same problem. I actually phoned my supplier and I was told they would exchange it for free but it seems to be working now. Mine didn't come on eventually. I waited for the phone's battery to die I then charged it and was able to switch it back on. Weird though. If anyone knows what causes this please share - Thanks a million.
    richotez likes this.
    05-01-2015 09:45 AM
    Try disabling all animations with developer options. Currently trying that "fix" after i seen a samsung s owner posted it somewhere. It's been only 3 days though and i haven't had a "SOD".

If it was actually the sleep of death that is your problem. that might help.

Seen a few posts on other webistes and on xda have the sleep of death on stock software so it's more common then you think. I use a nexus 4 and it started happening a little bit after i got lollipop update(never rooted, installed custom roms ect). Some had it before then.
    05-02-2015 06:36 PM
    I have had the same issue phone is charged was sitting on the bench with the blue notification flashing but unresponsive have pushed volume and andpower button it is now working thanks for all the suggestion helps heaps
    05-24-2015 08:01 PM
    For future reference Just a update for people who will search "sleep of death" it's now been 30 days. And i haven't had a single sleep of death since. So try my suggestion it might work fo you.

*update 5/30 I had this occur with kit kat(w/ animation fix) i thought it was a fluke now i have this on 5.1.1(w/ animation fix). I did have 1 "sleep of death" during that time. I had turned off my screen couple seconds later tried to turn it right back on again i couldn't. It just happened now with 5.1.1. So it's really still not fixed but it is way better than it was before.
    belodion likes this.
    05-27-2015 06:55 PM
    The vol up, home, and power won't do anything, however after a couple tries, vol down, power will.
    06-02-2015 12:04 PM
    Just had the same problem, put it to charge over night. when I woke up nothing happened. Totally dead except the green notification light flashing in upper left corner.

home+power+volume up, didn't seem to work.

I tried the one with volume down and it seemed to work after a few tries-
    Steampunker likes this.
    06-05-2015 02:43 AM
    Same experience here - nothing worked, except for the power down + power button combination for seven seconds. Phone restarted and works perfectly again. Stock fw, updated to the most recent version, stock background on lock screen (from Samsung), regular Galaxy S6 Black.
    Steampunker likes this.
    06-09-2015 04:16 PM
    Has anyone found a fix for this yet? This SOD thing happens to me maybe 10 times a day. Already did everything including a wipe cache and a factory reset but it still happens. I can't return or claim for warranty since I bought my s6 edge second hand.
    06-11-2015 06:14 AM
    this has happened to me when my new phone was 5 days old. I have performed cache wipe, soft boot, and many iterative rounds of factory resets with various levels of reconfiguration/app reinstallation. The problem persists. Neither Samsung nor Verizon claimed they had heard of this problem. Verizon offered a certified like new replacement but recommended I take the phone back to best buy for a new replacement.
    06-16-2015 10:16 AM
    The vol up, home, and power won't do anything, however after a couple tries, vol down, power will.
    I had to do the power and volume down for 7 seconds for it get to the point of showing the charge icon at 55 percent. I still couldn't leave that until I hit the power button again and the phone immediately rebooted.

I had the SOD after updating on T-mobile to 5.1.1 last night (and not noticing battery improvements for my S6 Edge) I went to bed with the phone at 70 percent and woke up with my alarm NOT going off and then realizing the phone was in SOD. I tried the power button for 30 seconds, tried the power, volume up and home key, etc. tried plugging it in to the wall charger, the car charger and the computer and zilch. The computer wouldn't even recognize it as plugged in.

This thread helped get it rebooted tho but I'm unsure if I should replace the phone (if I can w/o a fee) or wait to see if it happens again.

For the record there are no custom ROMs, etc. I've not tinkered with the phone other than downloading and installing various common apps.
    06-18-2015 10:00 AM
    Yes, i've same problem when this morning, RESET the phone solved my problem.
    06-30-2015 10:23 PM
    Thank you! To my suprise my phone immediately rebooted after pressing vol down and power simultanously for like 2 seconds, I was afraid it would have been my screen that was broken inside since it broke on the outside about 2 weeks ago from out of nowhere ( didn't drop it or anything ). So thanks again!
    07-01-2015 05:34 PM
    i had the same issue where s6 edge was just showing the blue light nd on the curve was just showing time i tried with power key + volume up + home but it dint work out then i tried power + volume down + home nd it worked for me now my s6 edge its completly fine
    i hope this info will help full for u any thing leme know
    07-07-2015 08:14 AM
    I had same issue with T-mobile carrier. Got phone to reboot by holding power key and volume down button. BTW, T-mobile sucks. Called in for a replacement phone before I found this trick. They were going to "overnight" me a new phone.Trouble is they use only UPS, and it is now Thursday night. Since UPS does not work on weekends (can you imagine in this day of age a major package delivery service not working on weekends?) and order will not be processed until tomorrow (Friday) I cannot get my phone until Monday!
    Nice going T-mobile. Ever hear of USPS or Fedex?
    Someone is getting bribed at T-mobile. SHAME ON YOU!
    Kudos to this forum!
    07-09-2015 09:34 PM
68 123