Need advice HTC M9 compatibility with power banks?

A

AC Question

Need advice HTC M9 compatability with power banks

Does anyone have experience using a power bank with the new M9?

Am about to upgrade from an HTC DNA which in the past 6 months has developed numerous charging issues that I have learned to work around (keeps saying it is in USB host mode, etc). Anyway, last straw is that during a power outage last week my Zilutech power bank worked for everything else (samsung tablet, kindle, ipod) but not the DNA. Plug it in and it doesn't charge or communicate anything. i figured it was just my phone, but when I went to look at the M9 at local Verizon store they let me check whether power bank would work. And it did not work for the M9 or the HTC desire. It did work for an LG phone.

I have been happy with my HTC phones (started with Incredible) and am leery of s6 glass body so would prefer M9 to others but I don't want to start a whole new cycle of stupid power issues.

Thoughts?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need advice HTC M9 compatability with power banks

HTC is using a different connector setup than everyone else? Have you tried using an OEM HTC charging cable?

HTCASKER

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Ambassador for your suggestion. I'm not sure if I have the original cable, but in addition to the cable that came with the power bank I tried the one that allows me to charge the phone in my car through a USB connection. But you make a good point. If I get the M9 I will have the original cable and maybe that will work with this (or some other) power bank.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone have experience using a power bank with the new M9?

Am about to upgrade from an HTC DNA which in the past 6 months has developed numerous charging issues that I have learned to work around (keeps saying it is in USB host mode, etc). Anyway, last straw is that during a power outage last week my Zilutech power bank worked for everything else (samsung tablet, kindle, ipod) but not the DNA. Plug it in and it doesn't charge or communicate anything. i figured it was just my phone, but when I went to look at the M9 at local Verizon store they let me check whether power bank would work. And it did not work for the M9 or the HTC desire. It did work for an LG phone.

I have been happy with my HTC phones (started with Incredible) and am leery of s6 glass body so would prefer M9 to others but I don't want to start a whole new cycle of stupid power issues.

Thoughts?

Hmmm. I just got an Aukey power bank from Amazon today. I haven't even tried to use it yet though. It's still plugged in charging itself. (Suggested not to use until 100% powered up on the first use. After it's fully charged I'll plug my M9 up and see what happens.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Ambassador for your suggestion. I'm not sure if I have the original cable, but in addition to the cable that came with the power bank I tried the one that allows me to charge the phone in my car through a USB connection. But you make a good point. If I get the M9 I will have the original cable and maybe that will work with this (or some other) power bank.

Okay, I just checked with my battery pack, and it charges my M9 using the original OEM cable, the one that came with the battery pack, and also with a Belkin cable I had laying around. Here's a link to where I got it. Amazon.com: Aukey Quick Charge 2.0 10000mAh Portable External Battery Fast Charger (16.2W / 5V 9V 12V Supported, Quick Input and Output) - Silver: Cell Phones & Accessories
It took me a couple weeks trying every couple days for it to actually be available, but I think it's worth it. It's one of the only Quick Charge 2 certified battery packs I've been able to find.