Hi everyone, I'm purchasing an S6 next week and I have a few questions. I'm not a Android expert, so excuse my ignorance on some of these questions. I have been a Blackberry user for over 10 years and have a samsung tablet I sometimes use so I know enough to get by.

1. From what I have read there is a Samsung Knox which is a counter that will detect if the phone is rooted and it can possibly void the warranty. I have Att and I hate bloatware on my phones, so based on a previous post i made, it appears the only way to remove these apps is by rooting. Is there a way to flash a custom rom without tripping this counter or is it too soon to tell?

2. Lets say I keep the factory OS that came with the phone and I upgrade the OS, OTA when Samsung/ATT releases the next version of android in the future, is it possible to downgrade to the older version (or current lolipop) without tripping Knox and voiding any warranty or as soon as the phone is flashed with a new OS it is not under warranty anymore?

3. If i understand correctly Knox keeps track of how many times the phone has been flashed and if it has been rooted? If the phone is flashed with an older version of android released by Samsung/ATT is it still going to keep track of this or only when it is flashed with a custom rom?

4. Lastly what is the best backup software for backing up app data? I believe I had downloaded Keiss for my tablet but that is not compatible with S6 so Smart Switch and Helium I have read are the best options unless there are others you guys recommend.

Cheers
    04-26-2015 08:26 PM
    1. The phone is still pretty new....I don't think a root method has been found yet.

2. Assuming it's possible, the Knox counter shouldn't get tripped so long as you flash stock ROMs. The million dollar question will be if Samsung doesn't prevent rolling back an OS version.

3a. Yes.
    3b. The counter changes when rooting/flashing a custom ROM.

4. Helium might be your best bet.
    04-26-2015 08:53 PM
    1. From what I have read there is a Samsung Knox which is a counter
    No, Knox is Samsungs "seen to be doing something" for Corporate America, that wants some control over employees who put company data on their personal phones. They can delete everything in the Knox area of the phone without deleting the personal stuff. As the phone comes, it just has a hoot to Knox - the actual software has to be downloaded.

that will detect if the phone is rooted
    Knox won't, but the ROM will, unless you reset it (Xposed's Wanam module can do that).

and it can possibly void the warranty.
    Rooting and/or flashing a non-stock ROM both void the warranty with everyone but HTC.

I have Att and I hate bloatware on my phones, so based on a previous post i made, it appears the only way to remove these apps is by rooting.
    Correct.

Is there a way to flash a custom rom without tripping this counter or is it too soon to tell?
    There's probably (I haven't looked in a while) any custom ROM, but with a locked bootloader, it's going to be a modification of the stock ROM - nothing revolutionary. If it's done right, it won't trip anything. (Previous AT&T [and Verizon] Samsungs with locked bootloaders have had ROMs created that didn't - I'm running the Note 4 port on my Note 3, and Knox is still at 0 - not tripped - and the phone doesn't show a "Custom" and lock, it appears to be stock.)

2. Lets say I keep the factory OS that came with the phone and I upgrade the OS, OTA when Samsung/ATT releases the next version of android in the future, is it possible to downgrade to the older version (or current lolipop) without tripping Knox and voiding any warranty or as soon as the phone is flashed with a new OS it is not under warranty anymore?
    It's still under warranty for a year. But you can't backflash over a major version. IOW, if you get the phone with 5.0.1 and OTA to 5.1 and don't like it, you can most likely go back to 5.0.1. But if you OTA to 6, you can't go back to 5.

3. If i understand correctly Knox keeps track of how many times the phone has been flashed
    No, there used to be a flash counter - before Knox.

and if it has been rooted?
    That's determined by the firmware (the ROM) itself.

If the phone is flashed with an older version of android released by Samsung/ATT
    Lollipop is the oldest version you'll ever find for the S6.

4. Lastly what is the best backup software for backing up app data? I believe I had downloaded Keiss for my tablet but that is not compatible with S6 so Smart Switch and Helium I have read are the best options unless there are others you guys recommend.
    I use Helium for the data,m but App Backup & Restore for the apps themselves, because it backs up to apk files. (Helium backs apps up in a proprietary format.)
    04-27-2015 01:08 AM