Data networks enabled automatically , how can I stop it ?

A

AC Question

I have a Korean LG G2 , I'm on a limited data account and wish to disable Data networks . I turn off using the settings button but if I visit a location where no wi-fi network is detected the Data network is enabled automatically and I start getting charged . I've rooted the phone and removed all the bloatware , I suspect the os is doing it .
Android 4.4.2 , build KOT49I.F320S21h ,s/w F320S21h

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Is this a network- or carrier-locked phone? If so, it may be worth speaking to them about it.

Posted via the Android Central App

deltaroy

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
No it's not a locked phone , just a pay as you go sim card , so the network provider should not have any control .
It seems to be 'OS services' that does it according to 'My Data Manager' app.
Many people here complain that the LG G2 doesn't switch automatically , I seem to have the opposite problem . If I turn off Data enable , I don't want it to switch . Maybe I need to also turn off WiFi so it won't detect the loss of signal , I'll try that next time I'm likely to be in a no WiFi area .
I also noticed that when I leave the country by air , I turn on airplane mode , when I arrive in a different country and turn off 'airplane mode' the Data is enabled automatically without asking for confirmation and the settings button to switch it off no longer works at all ??

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
IF by IFTTT may be able to do it - if data is enabled, disable it. If it can't, Tasker (it costs $3) definitely can.

Your phone might end up bouncing back and forth between data on and data off, but it won't stay on long enough to establish a connection, so as far as your usage is concerned, it's off. (It'll just cost you battery.)

If the phone is still under warranty, I'd ask for a repair or replacement - it's not supposed to work that way.

(Try something first - start in safe mode - see Power the Device Up in Safe Mode LG G2 | Verizon Wireless that's a Verizon page, but it's how LG phones get into safe mode. [Keep holding the volume buttons after you see the carrier's logo - you have to wait until you're at the lock screen - then you'll see "Safe Mode" in the lower left corner.] If it doesn't happen in safe mode, it's one of the apps you installed that's causing the problem. Safe mode starts the phone with only the apps that it came with. To get out of safe mode, turn the phone off, then turn it on.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad