Android Tethering & Windows has cost me USD 1,000

A

AC Question

I have an HTC One M8.

My mobile provider just contacted me and said I've racked up about USD 1,000 in data charges - long story short, I got to the bottom of it:

I sometimes charge my phone via a USB cable plugged into my PC.
What happened on this occasion was that Windows 7 decided to switch to my phone's data connection instead of my plugged in always available LAN with uncapped data!

This was due to the USB Network setting being set to "USB Tethering", which shares the phone's connection with a PC - I've never changed this setting, so I assume this is turned on by default - god, what a terribly expensive effect of a default setting.

I've since switched it off, but the damage has been done. I suppose no-one can really help me here, but I thought I'd post and maybe others can avoid a disaster like this in the future.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android Tethering & Windows has cost me USD 1,000

Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Sorry to hear that.

Do you mean the phone was in wifi hotspot mode via a toggle switch or a carriers hotspot app by default?

I can't see how the pc on it's own could elect to access mobile data from the phone without tethering / hotspot being enabled, which you might be saying.

I am not doubting you or criticising, just laying the groundwork for more knowledgeable people who may be better able to help and advise with what happened and whether you have a case.
Obviously this could be significant for other users of whatever carrier you are on, which is why you posted and we appreciate that.

If you have time, can you say hi in Introductions, which is under the Android Central Community banner. Experienced Ambassadors and Moderators of the site respond there more often and one or two, particularly @Dpham00 are very good at this 'stuff' and may have good advice.

They monitor this quickie forum in rotation as well, but may miss it by this evening if it seems to have been answered.

Good luck. Interesting.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC One M8.

My mobile provider just contacted me and said I've racked up about USD 1,000 in data charges - long story short, I got to the bottom of it:

I sometimes charge my phone via a USB cable plugged into my PC.
What happened on this occasion was that Windows 7 decided to switch to my phone's data connection instead of my plugged in always available LAN with uncapped data!

This was due to the USB Network setting being set to "USB Tethering", which shares the phone's connection with a PC - I've never changed this setting, so I assume this is turned on by default - god, what a terribly expensive effect of a default setting.

I've since switched it off, but the damage has been done. I suppose no-one can really help me here, but I thought I'd post and maybe others can avoid a disaster like this in the future.

Welcome to the forums. Which mobile provider do you have?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Sorry to hear that.

Do you mean the phone was in wifi hotspot mode via a toggle switch or a carriers hotspot app by default?

I can't see how the pc on it's own could elect to access mobile data from the phone without tethering / hotspot being enabled, which you might be saying.

I am not doubting you or criticising, just laying the groundwork for more knowledgeable people who may be better able to help and advise with what happened and whether you have a case.
Obviously this could be significant for other users of whatever carrier you are on, which is why you posted and we appreciate that.

If you have time, can you say hi in Introductions, which is under the Android Central Community banner. Experienced Ambassadors and Moderators of the site respond there more often and one or two, particularly @Dpham00 are very good at this 'stuff' and may have good advice.

They monitor this quickie forum in rotation as well, but may miss it by this evening if it seems to have been answered.

Good luck. Interesting.
The issue is that the op probably accidentally enabled usb tethering. All tethering is disabled by default. You would have to enable it in the settings. If you enabled it then unfortunately, you agreed to use the data. Good lesson for all - be careful with the settings.

Similarly, if roaming... Be careful... Verizon can charge you in excess of $20,000 USD per GB if you don't have a international plan.

uploadfromtaptalk1430228955146.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430228962865.jpg

Now if you are sure that you didn't enable it then you can file a complaint with the carrier or the government, depending on where you are. But beware that if you are wrong that you would have to pay the whole thing.

Sometimes the carrier would agree to reduce the charge, if you contacted them.

Also you can set up data usage alerts and data limits on the phone -you should do this anyway unless you have an unlimited data plan and unlimited hotspot plan.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

The issue is that the op probably accidentally enabled usb tethering. All tethering is disabled by default. You would have to enable it in the settings. If you enabled it then unfortunately, you agreed to use the data. Good lesson for all - be careful with the settings.

Similarly, if roaming... Be careful... Verizon can charge you in excess of $20,000 USD per GB if you don't have a international plan.

View attachment 174159View attachment 174160

Now if you are sure that you didn't enable it then you can file a complaint with the carrier or the government, depending on where you are. But beware that if you are wrong that you would have to pay the whole thing.

Sometimes the carrier would agree to reduce the charge, if you contacted them.

Also you can set up data usage alerts and data limits on the phone -you should do this anyway unless you have an unlimited data plan and unlimited hotspot plan.

Yes. I was allowing for that as a possibility.

Still, if you are not roaming internationally, or saw no need with your regular usage to set limits, carriers should be obliged to text or warn you if you go over a certain charge.

They won't unless they are made to of course.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes. I was allowing for that as a possibility.

Still, if you are not roaming internationally, or saw no need with your regular usage to set limits, carriers should be obliged to text or warn you if you go over a certain charge.

They won't unless they are made to of course.
Verizon allows you to set multiple warnings at whatever percentage you want... Say 50%,90%,100%. They will send you a free text and email when you hit the percentages that you set