I have a HTC one M7 no longer covered by warranty. The camera will no longer focus on anything more than a couple of feet away. Even when it was working, I was not all that happy with the camera. Otherwise, I love the phone and it works great.

Photography is important to me but I am reluctant to buy a used iphone 6 for $600 when the HTC one works well, except for the camera.

Please let me know if you have an suggestions or comments.
    04-28-2015 06:25 PM
    The only suggestion I have is that you are not limited to a choice of the iPhone 6 if you want a phone with excellent photographic potential. I understand that that is indeed a good phone for photography, but there are many others.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-28-2015 06:50 PM
    You could try replacing the camera yourself, if you're very confident with working with tiny parts - you can find replacements on eBay for about $15. Otherwise you can a shop to replace the camera for you - it shouldn't cost over $100. And that's assuming it's not just a loose cable (which would be a lot cheaper - just labor).
    04-28-2015 06:52 PM
    Thank you, Belodion. Are there any specific phones that you would recommend?
    04-28-2015 07:05 PM
    Thank you, Rukbat. The issues I am wrestling with in having it repaired are: I was not all that crazy about the camera even when it was working and (2) I heard that it is a difficult repair and that you risk further damage to the phone. I would be interested in hearing about your experience or thoughts on this issue.
    04-28-2015 07:11 PM
    Update: HTC has agreed to repair the camera at no charge even though the warranty has expired. Apparently, it is a known problem with the phone.
    05-01-2015 09:35 PM
    Then your problem is solved. As far as my experience, that's not a fair question - I used to own cellphone stores before I retired, so taking a cellphone apart isn't a big deal to me. But I've seen a lot of phones that had "simple fixes" done to them that would have ended up costing more than the phone was worth to fix the fixes. The "it's $15, so a shop shouldn't charge more than $100" was just my reasoning, not a suggestion that you open a phone without supervision the first time.

While you're waiting for the phone, haunt Kodak's site. Ansel Adams, just to prove a point once, took a few pictures with a shoebox pinhole camera and dry plates. Talk about bad camera quality. Nice pictures, though. The camera doesn't make the picture, the photographer does. (Dorothea Lange proved that - but I don't think there's anyone alive with an eye like that.)
    05-01-2015 11:31 PM
    Update: I bought a Kyocera Hydro Life phone as a replacement for the HTC one while it is being repaired. I am amazed at the quality of it ($100 phone). Makes me wonder about the premiums being charged by the name brands.
    05-03-2015 06:51 PM