I've tried everything but my Galaxy S3's USB port seems to be failing completely

A

AC Question

A few days ago my GS3 (2 years old) suddenly stopped going into MTP mode when hooked up to any computer. Android File Transfer, Kies, Unity, etc. wouldn't recognize it at all. After trying every solution i could find online I finally did a full factory reset. Sill no response from any computer, using any cable (including the one that came with the phone).

Now when I plug in the phone it takes 30 seconds for the phone to realize that it's plugged in and begin/stop charging. What's that about? I haven't seen that problem anywhere online but the response time after being plugged in is getting longer and longer.

My only assumption is that something internally is failing with the phone but I have no idea why or what to do. Help!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It certainly could be the microUSB port--hopefully that's what it is, because that should be pretty straightforward to repair. A failing motherboard would be much worse.

When you plug in via USB, have you tried manipulating the cable where it plugs into the microUSB port? If there's a loose connection, then adjusting the positioning of the plug might result in temporary connection.

poision73

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I have a lg d321 optimus and its starting to say unfortunately android acore has stopped can i fix and wen i bought the phone at a cricket store i had to send it back to get fixed there trying to say they have no record of them sending me a nother phone its crazy they say the inei number on the phone they sent me back by the way i had to cal ups a get the information they delivered a phone to me i can't get it registered through cricket now now i cant get updates i guess i got to by a new phone any ideas

Posted via the Android Central App

kidgold

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't thought of the motherboard being a problem. It's really hard to tell if adjusting the cable really does anything, but if I plug it in and lay it down for 30 seconds eventually it begins to charge. What would be the best way to go about getting repairs done?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't thought of the motherboard being a problem. It's really hard to tell if adjusting the cable really does anything, but if I plug it in and lay it down for 30 seconds eventually it begins to charge. What would be the best way to go about getting repairs done?

Since the phone is clearly out of warranty, it's probably most cost-effective to check your area for any good cellphone repair shops. Yelp would be a good resource.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a lg d321 optimus and its starting to say unfortunately android acore has stopped can i fix and wen i bought the phone at a cricket store i had to send it back to get fixed there trying to say they have no record of them sending me a nother phone its crazy they say the inei number on the phone they sent me back by the way i had to cal ups a get the information they delivered a phone to me i can't get it registered through cricket now now i cant get updates i guess i got to by a new phone any ideas

Posted via the Android Central App

I would suggest creating a new thread with your question, since it has nothing to do with the original post in this thread. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since the phone is clearly out of warranty, it's probably most cost-effective to check your area for any good cellphone repair shops. Yelp would be a good resource.
Asking friends and neighbors would also be a good resource. A good shop will do anything reasonable to stay good in the eyes of its customers, because while AT&T can spend a million on advertising a new case, your neighborhood store considers $500/month a high advertising budget, and word-of-mouth is free. If your friend tells you about this great shop that does really great work, quickly, and at a good price, that's worth money in the owner's pocket. And you trust your friend - he can't post on a site as 10 different people praising the business when he tells you about it. (I'm not accusing Yelp, but I've seen reviews like that on some sites - even the misspellings were the same.)