I'm basically trying to figure out if my Tab 4 8.0 has phone capabilities. When I recently purchased the tablet I was asked what was my preference of area code for the mobile number & I gave a my preference. The tablet arrived in its box showing mobile number & the account it was added to. It displays phone in the general settings under application manager all display as well as sms messaging and as many of the more tablet savvy individuals than I, also know that it came with the sim card inserted and activated on arrival. I admit that I'm not familiar with more than the basic uses/capabilities of this tablet so I'm perplexed about this matter and would really appreciate any helpful insight on the matter. I would like to thank the individuals that are willing to take the time and provide me with the helpful information about this issue in advance, thank you.
    04-30-2015 05:57 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! In the US, tablets that have LTE capability don't also have telephony, meaning you can use them for 3G/4G mobile data, but not for phone calls. I would guess you can use it for SMS messaging, but I'm not sure.

If the tablet has internet access via 3G/4G, though, you can still make calls if you install Hangouts Dialer (an extension to the Hangouts app that allows you to make what is essentially a Google Voice phone call over the internet from the Hangouts app). Skype is another option.
    04-30-2015 06:55 PM