Is The Partitioning Of Memory A Bad Thing?

fred1952

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I'm not a very technical person and I'm looking to buy my first android phone but I don't get the purpose of partitioned 'internal' and 'phone storage' memory on some handsets. I'm after a budget device (about £100) to put my sim in, for use mostly with SMS/whatsapp messaging and emailing, no real need for games or all kinds of heavy apps so I figured an 8gb device with 1gb RAM should do me fine even with a 1-2gb taken for the OS. Aside from adding an SD card if I need it, is it going to be a problem having a partitioned overall memory? I understand some things go on one part and other things on another, but if I'm only left with 2/1/less gb on the relevant partition for messages would that become an insufficient amount after a short space of time? Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The OS is in a separate partition, so you have no choice about that, and it usually takes about twice what you think - around 4GB or more. Then there's the recovery partition and the download partition - those are mini operating systems on their own partitions. The rest of the device may be in one large partition for data and apps, or it may be split into separate partitions, depending on the manufacturer. ("Internal storage" and "phone storage" may refer to the same thing, or to different areas, again depending on the phone. The terms used in talking about cellphones aren't rigidly defined. Even talking about storage as memory is really incorrect [because it's confusing - RAM is memory, internal storage is memory in cellphones (there are no hard drives in cellphones) and external SD cards are memory] but it's done all the time.)