Hi, i have an unlocked at&t phone (running simple mobile) and i want to update to lollipop. how do I update, my phone is a galaxy s 5 running jellybean 4.2 (it is not rooted.) even though it says at&t users are getting updates mine isn't, i know it could be because its unlocked but i still would like to update without rooting.
    05-09-2015 06:30 PM
    Find a at&t lollipop stock Galaxy s5 rom, download it and flash it to your device using Odin. No root needed but this is very risky. If you want full detail in doing this process than reply back saying so.

Sent from Mr. Mobile Nations using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5
    05-09-2015 06:41 PM
    how do you do that?
    05-09-2015 06:49 PM
    Is it carrier unlocked or like a non-locked international phone?
    05-09-2015 06:52 PM
    carrier unlocked i guess you can use any carrier its just an at&t phone
    Is it carrier unlocked or like a non-locked international phone?
    05-09-2015 06:56 PM
    Oh.. First are you using it on AT&T? Does it have an AT&T SIM card in it?

Have you done a check for the update under "About Device" and then click "software updates" and check updates?

Also if you have an AT&T warranty store near or a Best Buy, either can flash the upgrade for you.

It is a HUGE update and having the Samsung counter at Best Buy flash it is super quick and free.
    05-09-2015 07:09 PM
    But flashing the upgrade, need to make sure you have what you want to keep, saved.
    05-09-2015 07:10 PM
    This is self flashing to Lollipop. (Use these steps at your own risk, but I do recommend taking it to bestbuy. You will loss data doing this!) Go to setting, then go to about phone, now click on build number 7 times (this should enable developer mode) Back out of about device and you should see an option called "Developer options" and click this, now tap something called "usb debugging". Google "at&t galaxy s5 stock lollipop" (I could find one for you), then download Odin --> http://odindownload.com now once everything is downloaded make sure your phone is 50% or up. Shut down your phone completely, then hold the volume down button, home button, and power button untill you feel a small vibration then release the power button but continue to hold the other two. This should bring you in download mode, after in download mode plug your phone up to a windows pc (with original chatger) and open odin. Click the checkbox next to "pda" or "ap" depending on which version you downloaded. You should see a green or yellow light somewhere in the upper left of Odin (that means Odin sees your device) Click start. Give it about 8 minutes to complete to download and the phone will reboot itself and inatall these updates. You can unplug the charger now, and if it gets stuck on boot for more than 10 minutes then do a factory reset, and you will have lollipop.

Sent from Mr. Mobile Nations using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5
    05-09-2015 07:22 PM
    If the phone is on a current AT&T account, go to Settings/General/About Device/Software update, and update it.

If it's not on an AT&T account, you'll have to find an AT&T update file (for 4.3, then for 4.4.2 - at that point it should do an update to 4.4.4, then to 5.0 by itself) and install it yourself. How you do that depends on how it's packaged. (Make sure it's an update file - a ROM will delete all your data - so unless you have everything backed up, you don't want to do that, although it's the best way to do it.)

Look on XDA Forums for the AT&T version of your phone, and look for update or ROM files.
    05-09-2015 08:40 PM
    If not on AT&T, Best Buy can always flash it or you can buy a prepaid AT&T SIM and insert it and update or borrow the SIM of a friend on AT&T to update it.

Personally, if Best Buy is close, I would go that route, even if I was on AT&T. Clean flash of the update and much quicker. Again, HUGE update.
    05-09-2015 09:21 PM
    ok thank you
    05-09-2015 09:44 PM
    Guys- I have th same problem with a Galaxy S4. Is it the same instructions as for the S5?

Also, what does it mean 'Best Buy can alway flash it' ?
    07-13-2016 08:33 AM
    I have the same problem but with a unlocked galaxy s6 edge. My phone still runs lolipop 5.1, I went to best buy for the samsung shop. They could not fix the problem. My phone still has lolipop and the samsung shop was no help at all I waited a week to get a we cannot find a way to update you phone to marshmallow
    11-15-2016 10:30 PM
    Hi Tim,

Did you get the new update? I am planning to buy AT&T unlocked phone and would like to know if I can android update without AT&T sim card.
    11-29-2016 01:16 AM