Why is my samsung galaxy s3 overheating?

A

AC Question

It seems like whenever my phone is on it is overheating where the SD card and the SIM card is located. It doesn't matter if the phone is turned off or if it is on. I tried the safety removal of the SD card and turning it completely off and I also deleted older pictures and some music and it still overheats! What do I do?

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Try a different battery. Is the phone still hot after its been turned off for a few minutes? Well if the phone is only hot when its on then you might have a lot of apps running in the background. My S5 has gotten hot once and it cooled off immediately when I took it off the charger. Yea but take a shot at getting a new battery. If this still occurs then take it to your phone's carrier or Best Buy and see what they recommend.

Sent from Mr. Mobile Nations using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It seems like whenever my phone is on it is overheating where the SD card and the SIM card is located. It doesn't matter if the phone is turned off or if it is on. I tried the safety removal of the SD card and turning it completely off and I also deleted older pictures and some music and it still overheats! What do I do?

I would try all of the above first, but keep in the back of your mind..Samsung had some Motherboard issues with various models and it does cause them to get extremely hot.

If that is the case or none of the above things work for you, Samsung can check it, switch out the motherboard for less than $75. I can't remember the exact cost. I talked to Samsung last year about the price for an S3 needing a new motherboard and it was something like $70.80.

I had to do this with my Note 3. It had 3 motherboards in that phone, the one when I got it, I sent it in for overheating, they replaced the motherboard, it went bad in a few minutes, replaced it again that same day and I never had another problem.

I didn't try all of the above things first because my phone was under warranty and just a few weeks old. Had it been older and no warranty, I would have tried the above suggestions before sending it to Samsung.

Marielle Miller

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you guys/gals for the feedback. I got a new battery and my phone is still overheating. I would go to a Samsung store but the closest one to me is in Soho, NYC and i live 3 hours away. Plus my phone is out of warranty. I took it to my phone carrier and they said that they will replace it with a Samsung galaxy s4 if I pay them $125 deductible (before sales tax). But I'm not sure if it is worth it since my carrier doesn't carry the s4 on the sales floor anymore. I don't know if that is worth it for me to go through all of it again to then pay a $200 deductible if/when the s4 acts up. What should I do? Any other suggestions?