So, I installed Lollipop and ever since then my phone keeps putting itself in silent mode (it literally did it again while typing this message).
    I am not physically pushing the volume adjustment. Everything in "Motions and Gestures" is disabled. I have no idea why it's doing this and no idea how to keep it from happeng.

How I am 100% positive it's not me pressing a button is simple. I was at the gym the other day, took my phone off silent (which it put itself in automatically) and placed my phone in my locker in one motion. Took a shower and came back to my locker. The phone was on silent AGAIN!

It did not do this before updating to Lollipop.
    05-11-2015 10:19 AM
    So, I installed Lollipop and ever since then my phone keeps putting itself in silent mode (it literally did it again while typing this message).
    I am not physically pushing the volume adjustment. Everything in "Motions and Gestures" is disabled. I have no idea why it's doing this and no idea how to keep it from happeng.

How I am 100% positive it's not me pressing a button is simple. I was at the gym the other day, took my phone off silent (which it put itself in automatically) and placed my phone in my locker in one motion. Took a shower and came back to my locker. The phone was on silent AGAIN!

It did not do this before updating to Lollipop.
    Welcome to the forums!

This is my view, YMMV, and many here agree and many don't.

After any firmware upgrade, I reset is as normal for me as turning on the phone. This upgrade especially, as huge. I do my reset in recovery mode, don't know if it matters to do it there over doing the one in the phone settings, I just like doing my reset there.

Anything stored on your phone, you will lose. I keep pictures on my SD Card, contacts, calendars, etc sync'd through my gmail account. I don't care about saving my text messages, but there is a sync now for AT&T so they are saved. Any I wanted to save before that, I just did a screenshot and put on my SD card.

You can try first to wipe the cache partition and see if that helps. Let me get you my instructions on how to do this. I'm assuming you don't know how to boot into recovery, so I will explain that also. You may know how to boot into recovery, but I would rather give detailed instructions in case someone else reads this and doesn't know how to do that.

This is how I boot into recovery, it is a little awkward to do this.

First, turn your phone off.

Second, I do this, in these steps and you hold each of these buttons down the entire time, it takes two hands.

Press and hold the Home button.
    Press and hold the Power UP button (power down will get you to download mode)
    Press and hold the Power button.

The phone will vibrate and I just wait until I see the blue text in the left corner of the screen that says "Recovery Booting" (it is tiny text), to release the buttons.

You will see several options. Use the volume down key to scroll down to "wipe cache partition" then the power button to choose it.

It won't take long to complete. Then "Reboot system now" will be highlighted at the same screen, use the power button to choose that.

Your phone will reboot and then you can check and see if that fixed the problem. You will lose nothing from your phone doing this, it doesn't reset anything.

If that doesn't work, my suggestion is a factory reset from the same menu (you will see it listed there when you reboot into recovery). Of course I always suggest a reset after every firmware update and especially a big one, but of course you have to set your phone up again and move things (before the reset) you don't want to lose.

If the wipe cache doesn't fix the issue, my next suggestion is the reset.
    05-11-2015 10:57 AM