Bought unlocked phone, can I sell my old one?

A

AC Question

My son broke his S4 and we bought him an International version because we move from US to UK in July. I swapped the SIM from broken phone to new one and everything works fine. His contract runs out in September so we will just pay the balance before we leave.

I want to sell the old phone to Gazelle and have a couple of questions:

1. Do we have to get a new SIM because the old one is tied to the original S4 and that will cause problems when Gazelle try to use it.

2. How do I reset the old phone when the screen is broken and does not work?

3. Do I need to have ATT unlock the 'new' phone or is it automatically unlocked already?

I hope I am clear as to what I need but if not just ask for clarification.

Thanks in advance,

Morris

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The SIM should be independent of the phone. So you should be able to continue using the SIM card.

Factory resetting a phone when the screen is broken can be challenging. You could use Android Device Manager to send a wipe command (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160500?hl=en), but it requires the phone to be on and connected to the web. If the phone does power on, you could test it out by trying to remotely ring the phone. If it receives that command, then you know it will receive the remote wipe command.

If you bought the phone unlocked, AT&T doesn't have to do anything. You only have to get the phone unlocked if it came locked to a carrier. But be aware that the international version might not be completely compatible with all of AT&T's network bands. Check to see if you get full 4G LTE coverage, or if it only gets as high as 4G HSPA+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr