I got an Android Tablet recently (a Nextbook 8 with Android KitKat 4.4.2 at Walmart), and almost immediately ran out of storage for the apps and games I was wanting to download. I bought a 16GB micro SD card to go with it, but found out that KitKat makes it harder to use an SD card for apps and games...

My question is: How do I make it so that my tablet can save apps and games to my SD card? I've heard that rooting is required, but I'm a bit worried that if I don't have a step by step for that, I'll screw up my tablet...

Also, is it possible to still play games saved to an SD card without having them on the internal storage?
    05-16-2015 08:08 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The ability to "Move to SD card" for an app depends on the device. Some devices have this feature, others don't. You can tell by going to Settings>Apps, selecting some of the apps, and seeing if there is a "Move to SD card" button. If there isn't, then the device doesn't have that function natively. If it does have the function, not all apps can take advantage of it.

If you can move apps to SD, be aware that you're only moving a portion of the app (and often a relatively small portion). And also be aware that in order to install a new app, it has to download and install to Internal Storage first--so if you don't have enough room there, you won't be able to install it, even though you have plenty of space on the SD to move it to afterwards.

Rooting the device can allow you to use apps like App Mgr III or Link2SD. The apps should work fine, although if the card gets corrupted or unintentionally removed, it might mess up the apps that are moved there.
    05-16-2015 09:18 PM