Phone unable to connect to wifi unless I change Router's security

A

AC Question

My phone shows my wifi security as WEP when I know that its WPA2, so whenever I try to connect to my wifi, it fails to "obtain IP address" and says "AP currently not in use" and fails to connect. When I change the router security to WEP the phone does connect, but I would rather not do so. Is there any way to what my phone identifies the wifi security to match up my routers?

Ive tried all the methods of solving the "fail to obtain IP address" from toggling wifi power saving on/off to ensuring that I had available DCHP ports
Using a static connection instead of DCHP works to 'get a connection' but fails in that I cannot browse the internet or anything; it displays "DNS probe finished no internet"

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Try these steps, in order, until it (hopefully) works. They are some of the most common fixes for stubborn WiFi connections and have been successful in many cases. Do 1-5 together, 6-10 one at a time. Just to be sure, start with a simple router reboot.

1. On the phone go to: Settings > WiFi > Long-press on your network > Forget network.

2. Turn off the phone.

3. Unplug the power to the router for at least 30 seconds.

4. Plug in the router and give it plenty of time to fully reboot, at least 3-4 minutes.

5. Turn on the phone and try to connect.

6. Open a browser and get into Setup in the router.

7. Set security encryption to WPA2/AES. Do not use TKIP or AES/TKIP.

8. Try setting static IP addresses.

9. Update your router firmware.

10. Try using Google's DNS servers. 8.8.8.8 for the primary, 8.8.4.4 for the secondary.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Bobobit

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I have tried steps 1-5, no dice. Same with Steps 6,7, and 10. I've tried setting static connections and it does connect but I fail to do anything that requires wifi, it just displays "DNS probe finished no internet" if I try to browse the internet.

I have no clue how to do a firmware update, step 9, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci