I've been using CCleaner on Windows for years - it does what it claims. It's probably about as good on Android, but that's just a guess, based on the level at which the Windows version is written. (I've hired enough programmers in my life that a few lines of code can tell me whether someone knows what s/he's doing.)

CM kills apps that it wants killed - even if Android wants them to stay in RAM. That makes Android reload them, CM rekill them, etc., etc., slowing your phone and wasting battery.

Android isn't supposed to run with "clean" RAM - it wants as much RAM in use as possible. ("Unused RAM is wasted RAM" - an Android developer.) Cleanmaster may be great for Windows, but it's death on Android. (And if a company knows so little about the environment they writing apps for, I see them as writing anything that will make money, whether it's needed or not, even whether it works or not. So, as Crashdamage has said a few times, you shouldn't have any Cheetah apps on your Android phone or tablet. Not even the stealing information stuff - they don't know how Android works, so how can they write apps for it?)
    You put it well that Android wants RAM to be used (not wasted). These devices do what they say but that doesn't mean that's they're good for your device.
    11-19-2015 04:06 PM
    I know this thread has been inactive for a while. However, I had been searching a lot on the Apps mentioned without any concrete info until I found this thread. Thus, I decided to join as after reading all the posts in this thread I noticed how helpful the members are My concern is if I should install an antivirus App. Unfortunately, previously I used the CM Security App as an antivirus. However, now I am sceptical of installing a new antivirus App, especially after many mentioned that Android is capable of taking care of itself. What do you suggest please? Thanks
    01-09-2016 05:03 PM
    It's not capable of taking care of viruses written after the version you're running came out. For instance, up until 5.0, Android was susceptible to Stagefright. It's always a good idea to run a good antivirus app. Some of the good ones are Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus, AVG AntiVirus Security, Avira Antivirus Security and Kaspersky Internet Security. You should also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    Laura Knotek and Solidstate94 like this.
    01-09-2016 05:28 PM
    An excellent post descrbing what to expect to happen using Clean Master:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7186025
    01-10-2016 08:44 AM
    I want more info on this. Where are examples that it uses your data against you and installs spam and viruses?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-19-2016 04:00 PM
    Read post #1 in this thread. Read the 2nd link in my post #3. Do a quick Google search. Incriminating information on CM is everywhere.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    Laura Knotek and tube517 like this.
    01-19-2016 04:51 PM
    I did. But I can't find anything else but those posts you linked.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-19-2016 06:07 PM
    01-19-2016 09:56 PM
    Thanks for the prompt reply! Rukbat which is the best or has the most beneficial features please? Thanks
    01-20-2016 09:49 AM
    The best thing to to do if you realize your have some slow down is to do some spring cleaning.
    Save all your data best you can and reset the device.
    I don't trust Cleanmaster anymore or any products from Go. But that is just me.
    Without root it is easier said then done, but in the long run I think it's worth it to just wipe and reinstall.
    02-01-2016 07:24 AM
    The problem is that in my recently bought Wiko Pulp, Cleaner Master comes installed by default and you can't uninstall it... They must have some kind of agreement... Even though those problems may be true, the app as a tool that hybernates (i believe i misspelled that) apps that are open on the background and use battery. The battery used to drain a lot quicker than it does simply by after opening an app like clash of clans going to Cleaner Master and hibernating that app. So i got some mixed feelings.
    And if somebody know how to uninstall Cleaner Master i would appreciate imstructions.
    02-11-2016 03:56 PM
    Cleaner Master and Clean Master are not the same but both are bad,. Hibernating apps is unnecessary. Apps that you think are running in the background are probably only cached in memory and using no power.

If you can't uninstall Clean Master maybe it can be disabled. If not just don't use it,

If it can't be uninstalled in the usual way it will require rooting the phone to get rid of it.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-2016 03:16 AM
    Everything in the OP's post is true - and more.

As has been covered here before, anything by Cheetah Mobile has been known for quite a while to be not only basically functionally worthless, but just plain evil. Hijacks your device, throws up nag ads and false alarms, and phones home with your data to numerous servers in China. Many, many warnings about avoiding Cheetah Mobile have been posted here and in numerous other places.

Despite all the evidence against Cheetah and all the warnings to avoid their stuff, Clean Master, CM Security, Battery Doctor and other CM apps continue to be recommended by clueless tech sites and innocent but duped users. It's understandable that some users may not be aware, but for tech sites to put Cheetah's crapware in 'Best of' 'Must have' and 'Top Ten' app lists is utterly ridiculous and totally inexcusable!

This thread contains a wealth of information, not only about Cheetah Mobile but about other crapware, how Android works and more. Long thread but worth the read.

http://androidforums.com/threads/put...e-like.896663/

This will make you think again about installing anything from Cheetah Mobile. An article where the CM CMO says CM is a "data company" and the 'M' in CM stands for monetization. Meaning turning your stolen data into their money.

http://androidforums.com/threads/cac.../#post-7001396

But wait - it gets even worse. As posted here earlier, Samsung has made a deal with Cheetah to include Clean Master in the bundled bloatware! It's on the S6!

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6934991

Thanks to EarlyMon for that info.

I could go on and on about this stuff, it drives me crazy. There's a LOT of information available if you look, but the tech sites and bloggers don't bother. They just promote what they're told to and write without any knowledge. And there's a lot more crapware by companies like DU Apps (DU Battery Saver) Go Dev Team (Go Launcher, GoSMS) and others that continues to be given glowing recommendations by uninformed, ignorant, irresponsible websites and bloggers. Users read, install, their devices suffer, the reputation of Android suffers, and no one seems to care enough to do anything.

It just makes me sick...

But I'm preaching to the choir here. I just wish I knew a way to effectively offset the waves of misinformation flooding the internet.

Kind of scwewy that Samsung has also chosen to introduce this new and redundant " Smart Manager" and have it "Powered By Clean Master" on all of their modern devices. What the heck is Samsung thinking by hooking up with these particular third parties? Sheesh. Screw that. That doesn't pass the sniff test. But I suppose that the drones will eat it up like candy like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Ignorance is popular. And, unfortunately, it is equally as profitable.I imagine that could be one reason why Samsung invited the wolves into the henhouse.
    05-27-2016 03:53 AM
    What alternative would you recommend?
    I have used CM and BD on a Moto G 2nd Gen for some time. but recently when my data allowance was used up in two days of the new allowance starting, I checked and CM was the culprit.
    I have un-installed but don't know what to use in it place.
    06-02-2016 03:55 AM
    What alternative would you recommend?
    I have used CM and BD on a Moto G 2nd Gen for some time. but recently when my data allowance was used up in two days of the new allowance starting, I checked and CM was the culprit.
    I have un-installed but don't know what to use in it place.
    Nothing. Please see this article. RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-wh...-shouldnt-care
    06-02-2016 04:27 AM
    Thank you.
    06-02-2016 09:59 AM
    Got rid of battery doctor long ago as it used significant memory and resources..
    Found clean master clone in Lionmobi app..
    Some adds but much smaller..
    Probably just dump the lot at this point..
    Adguard helps keep things under control..
    Worth a try if you don't have..
    My two cents..
    08-09-2016 01:44 PM
    Clean Master and CM Security came preinstalled on my Asus ZenFone 2 and I stumbled across this thread while looking for answers to another problem. Let me say right from the start I'm not in anyway biased for or against Cheetah Mobile, I just speak as I find. I've been using these apps for about 9 months and I've never had any reason to suspect they are a threat to my privacy more than any other apps that require ridiculous permissions that are totally unnesessary in respect to the job they perform. If I was to refuse permissions then at least half the apps I use on my phone would never have been installed. You have to question why apps that don't have any negative comments such as games etc also ask for permission to search your contacts, messages and other private information, and have the right to add and remove data from your SD card. The majority of apps in the Google Play Store all require permissions that invade users privacy not just Cheetah Mobile. As far as I'm concerned Clean Master and CM Security, plus the CM Private Browser all seem to do the job they are intended for. They clear out unnecessary files and junk which are using up precious memory and warn me of malicious websites. The browser allows you to search websites and then deletes all browsing data on exit. If I had any reason to suspect that the Cheetah apps were malicious then I would uninstall them them straight away, I have that option in the settings menu, but I haven't got any reason to think that and this thread could just be causing unnecessary scaremongering and doing the apps an injustice. They work for me and I've got no reason to uninstall them just because a thread on a forum tells me to. If I was to do that I would need to replace them with similar apps that again would ask for permissions to invade my privacy, so as far as I'm concerned it's better the devil you know rather than install similar apps that would require similar permissions to the Cheetah apps. Doesn't it say anything that Samsung, the biggest supplier of cellphones in the world, would risk their reputation by installing apps on their devices if they were malware? Everyone's a bloody expert who think they know better than the true professionals. If the apps were malware I'm sure they would not be available from the Google Play Store so if anyone has differing views then feel free to comment and reply. Just don't send me links to other websites with the same BS as on here.
    08-14-2016 05:58 PM
    What has RAM got to do with the post by jacb09? He's asking about alternative apps which have nothing to do with RAM.
    08-15-2016 07:08 AM
    Why would you want to uninstall an app that seems to be doing the job it was intended for? This thread is all about scaremongering with, as far as I can see, no evidence to back it up! If it works use it, you'll only need to reinstall another app which again would invade your privacy.
    08-15-2016 07:43 AM
    Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.
    08-15-2016 08:51 AM
    What has RAM got to do with the post by jacb09? He's asking about alternative apps which have nothing to do with RAM.
    My opinion of CM is this: it's not so much as a data mine that bothers me (Facebook is just as bad), it's the idea that it boosts RAM, something Android doesn't need. So, you have someone developing an app and they don't understand the basic memory structure of the OS.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-15-2016 08:57 AM
    Clean master crashes
    12-09-2016 02:41 PM
    Hi. This is my first post. I joined recently when I was victimized by CleanMaster. I was monitoring my mobile data usage and I found out that 0.92GB was consumed about two days but I was not using my phone. Checked my Data Usage and there it was on top of the list. I immediately uninstalled it.

Below is the snapshot after uninstalling the damned thing. Took a chunk out of my monthly data.

Be concerned about Clean Master's data collection and privacy practices?-2017_0104_191737_001.jpg

If not for these forums I would not have known the uselessness and dangers of these apps. Thanks to you guys!
    VZWsucks likes this.
    01-04-2017 05:52 AM
    Then what is a good App lock?
    02-14-2017 11:30 PM
51 123