Why can't I set up my email?

A

AC Question

I already had my email set up on my Note 3. However it stopped working it started to say that I needed to update my password and when I did it said server authentication failed. I deleted my email to see if I put it in again it would work and nope I was wrong. Now its just not letting me even set it up it automatically tells me authentication failed.... I'm so annoyed by this already someone please help...

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Try this:

Go to: Settings > Apps > Select your email app > Clear cache > Clear data
Then just for good measure restart the phone.
Try adding the email account again.

If no good go into webmail and change the password back to the original password. Then repeat the steps above.

If still no good post back here and be sure to include any error messages you see.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm...

Is this a Gmail account, or ???

If it's Gmail, is it the default account (the one you used when you first setup the phone)?

What email app are you using?

dmapodaca831

May 20, 2015
Visit site
My Gmail account is working fine I don't have any issues with that one the one that I'm having issues with is my yahoo account. The yahoo account is my default. I'm using the app that came default with the phone.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Ahhh...Yahoo...I'm not surprised. OK, I still need answers to some questions:

What email app are you using? I asked before but you didn't say.

Is your address like xxxx@yahoo.com

Is this Yahoo account POP3 or IMAP?

Check these setup instructions. Are they the same as what you've been using?

For IMAP:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mobile/imap settings-yahoo-mail-sln4075.html

For POP3:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mobile/pop settings-yahoo-mail-sln4724.html

dmapodaca831

May 20, 2015
Visit site
The app I use is the one that came default on the phone. I never had to download a new app to use my email on the phone I just had to add the account on the phone. How can I tell which one it is? See when I set up it asked to set up automatically or manually I would choose automatic so it really did it for me... now when it stopped working It asked if I wanted to set it up manually and chose that one but it asked the same thing for the POP3 or the IMPA... but I don't know which one to use.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
When it asks for IMAP or POP3 say IMAP. It might go ahead and do the setup automatically. If you have to do a manual setup, follow the instructions for IMAP that I gave a link to in my last post.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I think at this point the easiest fix might be to just try using another email app. There's plenty to choose from such as K-9, Type Mail, Cloud Magic, etc etc or my favorite, AquaMail. Any of them should setup your Gmail and Yahoo accounts automatically. A simple search in the Google Play store will find them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to Crashdamage for all of that effort! I would also suggest trying the Yahoo Mail app, which is pretty good. You just can't access any other email account in that app, so if that's important, then it clearly wouldn't be the best option.

wadajoy

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I have tried all of this as well. I think my problem is I can't remember my password. Do you have any suggestions as to how to get my password reset? I tried to have my password sent to my phone and locked myself out of that too? HELP????!!!

Last edited:

mgearmail

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I fixed my issue in a strange way.

I just about went insane trying to set up my two Gmail accounts on the Samsung email app after Verizon Message+ somehow screwed the accounts up. I kept getting error messages saying "unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. no response from server." I did three factory resets, cleared all of my Google backup data on both accounts, and emptied out my Verizon backup files online. Nothing worked. Obviously this was a major pain, as I had to reinstall all of my apps and re-do all of my settings.

Almost by accident, I tried verifying my Gmail account info in the Samsung email app while I was using 4G instead of being connected to my home wireless network. It suddenly worked.

I have no idea why being on my network was keeping me from setting up my Gmail accounts. I was having no issues whatsoever with my home network: all other apps and my laptop were connecteing to the internet just fine. I had spent hours searching the web for solutions, none of which worked. It was insanely frustrating.

Vattah

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I already had my email set up on my galaxy s6 edge. However it stopped. I deleted my email to see if I put it in again it would work and nope I was wrong. Now its just not letting me even set it up. It automatically tells me authentication failed. S
omeone please help...

Reyes Vega

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
hello , Just looking for an answer having the same problem like you I got crazy and stressed but after so many answers with no result I finally resolve the problem to the headache problem, and I know so may like you and me are having hard time to sign into yahoo mail just follow the steps and let me know if its work for you too.

1- sign in to your yahoo mail, go up to right where your name is show click account info
2- click account security, & turn off Allow apps that use less secure sign in
3- Click manage Apps Passwords
4- select your App, click generate
5- go to your device to add the mail as you used to do it but instead of writing your email password just write the one that is been generate on the computer and write it as is don't care about if it's said that about spaces just continue and click next and follow the steps for sync.
the rest is story :p:p:p:p:p:p