Hello AC community!

I have severe hearing loss which requires me to wear hearing aids during the day. My issue is that my job requires me to be on-call at night. I often receive SMS notifications which I need to hear to wake me up at night. I have tried many notifications sounds on my Nexus5 and they are not enough to wake me up most of the time. I also have a SO and baby who I prefer not to wake up all the time.

I am looking for an inexpensive wearable that would vibrate and wake me up at night. Vibrations should be strong enough obviously.

Android watches are still fairly expensive at $200+. I thought about the Pebble Watch which is around 100$ but I was wondering if there was cheaper alternatives.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    05-21-2015 04:22 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Considering that the new Pebble Time is officially launching soon, I'd bet that you could find the original Pebble on sale for $70-80. I'd avoid the really cheap lesser-known watches, because they'll be much less reliable, with minimal to no support.
    05-21-2015 05:43 PM
    If you decide you want to try a loud ringtone to assign to just the person that would text you or make it the text ringtone for the nights you are on call, there is a site with free downloads of loud tones. I use a couple for my severe weather alert app to wake me at night.

They require you to register to download, but they don't do anything with your email address or send you any emails.

This guy has many that are loud, some are louder than others, you can download directly to your phone.

http://www.freesound.org/people/guitarguy1985/

This is one particular one that is very loud and the one I use for tornado warning alerts. I can hear it anywhere in my house.

http://www.freesound.org/people/guit.../sounds/58016/
    05-21-2015 07:17 PM