Game freezes on on certain WiFi

A

AC Question

Ok so on one of my cell phone games I can play on my note 3 on normal cell service but when I connect to my cox wifi it freezes after about 2 min into playing. This happens during any time of day. When I went home to see my parents I connected to their Comcast wifi and the game worked fine. I also use an android emulator and it had the same problem at home but not at my parents. I have 100mbs download speed on my Internet so that shouldn't be the problem. Also when I'm connected to wifi I can use a VPN app and the game is slower but doesn't freeze. Any ideas? I was thinking a security setting maybe?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a combination modem/router supplied by Cox, or do you have your own router? See if you can log into the router settings and look for a QoS setting (Quality of Service). This prioritizes certain connections (like the one for your TV) for the highest speed data, while other connections might be purposely slowed down to allow for that prioritization. Turn off QoS if it's on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't matter if you own or rent it. What brand and model is the router/modem?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It could also just be something Cox is doing - maybe they're overselling bandwidth and throttling certain ports (ports known for high bandwidth usage) to keep bandwidth usage down. (Some providers have been fined for doing that - I don't recall if Cox was one of them.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49