Why do apps, which require data, turn on automatically, when data is turned off?

A

AC Question

Why would apps, which require internet access, turn on automatically, when I have my data turned off? It makes no sense to allow this additional power drain, when I obviously have no need of these apps at the time. Contrary to popular belief, we do not all want to be "connected" all the time.

DRAGONROOK

May 24, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't really matter which app. The point that I, and many, many other Android users I know, all want to make, is that it makes no sense for any app, which is not required for use of the phone, or texting, to turn itself on, period, when the data is turned off.
I am trying to get the developers to pay attention to a matter which has irritated myself, and seriously, a lot of other users for several years now. That point being that, if you turn your data off, all apps which require data should automatically shut down until such time as you turn data on again. I'm not trying to be difficult, just heard, and thanks for your time.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't really matter which app. The point that I, and many, many other Android users I know, all want to make, is that it makes no sense for any app, which is not required for use of the phone, or texting, to turn itself on, period, when the data is turned off.
I am trying to get the developers to pay attention to a matter which has irritated myself, and seriously, a lot of other users for several years now. That point being that, if you turn your data off, all apps which require data should automatically shut down until such time as you turn data on again. I'm not trying to be difficult, just heard, and thanks for your time.

But these devices are internet dependent, and functionality becomes extremely inhibited when it's cut off. Depending on the app, it can be embedded as a system app, like Google Play Services. Play Services does several things like checking for app updates, which does require communication with the internet. Texting may need to send data, depending on the size and nature of the text.

As for getting developers to pay attention, something to keep in mind is we are not affiliated with Google or have any say in how the Android OS is designed or built. Compared to the whole, very few developers are in Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2