Bottom of my touchscreen won't work since Lollipop update. Is there any way to get rid of the bug?

A

AC Question

I already tried factory reset, nothing changes..! I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the installation of the new Android version!! It is maybe a phone calibration bug... I tried to calibrate my touch screen, but I haven't found any solution... :/

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4
Android Version: 5.0.1

Thank you in advance!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Do you mean an area of the actual screen above the Home button, or the back and menu buttons don't respond.

Can you not use the main icons in the bottom dock.

Have you used or changed a case recently. A magnetic clasp will usually do that to a corresponding are of the screen and would take a day or two to recpver.

If it's a part of the screen it sounds like a hardware fault and would need checking by a reputable repair store for a quote.

Kustrio

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I mean the actual touch screen... I only have a plastic case, so that shouldn't cause the problem!! I also unscrewed the phone to see if the display connector is well plugged in, and it was... I want to send it in, but before I wanted to solve the problem by myself ;) Oh, I also forgot to mention that the phone occasionally touches "itself" - it scrolls down, opens apps and sometimes the whole screen won't react until I let it be for 1-2 minutes!!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Thanks for registering.

I could only guess as to the cause and have no solution.

One of our most experienced site ambassadors has repaired many a device in a long career and he should be logging back soon. I will try to draw him to this if he doesn't pick it up. I can't say if will offer you hope, but stick around for a bit.

I have a Samsung Note 3 but I left it to someone for a while. There are Samsung service codes that test the screen and sensors on non carrier versions but for the life of me I can't find them with my Motorola.

If you are on VZW, AT&T etc they won't work, and it may be no use anyway. Yours sounds more serious.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a corrupt update - or a really strange coincidence. Can you ask your carrier to redo the update manually for you? Or back up the entire phone (see Backing up an Android Device) and ask them to flash the ROM? Carriers in the US (most of them, anyway) will do that, since they're responsible for the updates they send out. (The way Android gets updated is just begging for software corruption.)

If not, I suppose you'll have to send it in. You've done about all the analysis you can do. (More, actually - most people wouldn't open the phone to check the connector.)

Kustrio

May 27, 2015
Visit site
That's actually exactly what I thought!! The problem was that manually reinstalling the Android OS is pretty frustrating and requires a root I think... However, now you confirmed my thoughts and I will go to T-Mobile to reinstall the OS..! If even that won't work I swear I'll go back to my Nokia 3310!! xD

Anyway, thank you a lot for your help, Rukbat and Madd54!! :)

adam1389

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar problem. It's not a hardware issue, I'm sure. It is only a problem, when I am trying to touch any quicksettings button (like Wi-fi, bluetooth, flashlight...etc) below the half of the screen from the dropdown menu. Any other way I have no problem with the sensitivity.
I still haven't have any solution for that.

Sony Z1 compact 14.5.A.0.270