I was trying to clean up some phone memory so i decided to go to memory settings and delete the cached data and miscellaneous files. So all my mp3 files, and photos from whatsapp and viber have been deleted!! And the strange thing is that they have been deleted from my back up account in google!!! Is there any way to get those files back?
    lazymorulz likes this.
    05-27-2015 04:43 PM
    Well ... sort of.

1) You have to root the phone. You can't undelete deleted files from an unrooted phone.

2) You have to install an app that recovers deleted files. The free version of DiskDigger undelete (root) will do pictures, but you'll need the paid version to do any other file type.

Or you can image the userdata partition and use PhotoRec on the image file (on a PC - there are versions for Linux, MacOS and Windows). But the phone has to be rooted to do that. (See the munky-tool thread for a discussion of how to get an image file from a partition, and how to identify the userdata partition on your particular phone).

The problem is that any writing to internal storage - including rooting, installing apps, receiving a text, etc., can overwrite a deleted file you want to recover, so you're probably not going to recover all of them unless you disconnected the phone from the internet as soon as you realized your mistake, and the phone is already rooted.

(Recovering files from the external SD card is trivial by comparison - just run PhotoRec on the card when it's plugged into the PC using a card reader - and read War and Peace in Russian using a dictionary to translate each word, because grass grows faster than PhotoRec works on large storage devices. But it will recover anything that looks like a file on the device, whether it's been deleted or not. And it's not only free, it's open source.)
    lazymorulz likes this.
    05-27-2015 05:56 PM