Can you help me fix my contact list?

A

AC Question

Somehow my phone linked my contact list with my email account. Can you help me undo that so I only have who I added to my contact list on my phone?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello. Do you have your Contacts as Device Contacts. What device do you have. Which email do you use.
Some brands such as Samsung have Device Contacts. Google Nexus, and Motorola have People contacts linked to Google.
Are they Gmail addresses or other email. The email app or client you use is probably set to sync by default.
Device and email information would be useful.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Motorola still has Device contacts along with Google contacts.

I think what the OP is looking for is to lose the feature where email addresses that they have communicated with are added to Contacts automatically. That's done on the GMail (web) side. In the mail account, click the gear icon and choose settings. Locate the "create contacts for auto-complete" section and change it to "I'll add contacts myself".

To the OP, it's not a terrible idea to have your contacts linked to your Google account. If you don't, next time you wipe your phone you'll be in here asking how to get your contacts back, that you thought they would be backed up. If they're not linked to your Google account, they're not backed up unless you have a tool through your carrier to do it (Verizon's "cloud" is one).

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You could be right about Motorola's, I'm not used to them - but I am using a Moto G for a couple of weeks while my Note 3 is on 'vacation' and I only have Google, Yahoo and another email account as contacts to Display in People.

I also meant we could describe how to stop it adding automatically if we knew more, but I am having a funny day and didn't grasp the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC