I've always used the soft "reset" on on my phones, always. Long story short, I had no idea how easy it was to do a "factory reset" on my S5, using the same buttons I've always used to simply reboot my phone. Hundreds of photos wiped! (Absolutely lesson learned!) I've done a lot of research on this in the past couple of days, and I've learned a few things:

1) My S5 won't allow any normal data recovery program. Although the S5 allows USB debugging, but there is no option around the MTP, PTP choices. Normal USB Mode is simply not an option, and I have yet to find a work around.

2) Because the photos and other data was stored on internal memory, if I want to recover, I need to root my phone.

The problem lies in the fact that I don't know what I am doing. I've been intrigued by rooting since smart phones came out, and it even sounds easy enough... I just know there is a risk I run of bricking my phone, and I feel uneasy about the amount of education I have in the department of how to run my Android properly after it is rooted. My questions range: how easy it is to root (or on the other end, brick) a Galaxy S5. My Galaxy is from Verizon, 5.0 operating system and I've heard these cannot be as easily rooted, is this true? Is the risk of leaving me without a working phone worth recovering the few months of photos? How likely is it I'd even recover them if I am able to root since I'd be rooting on top of the data and possibly already overwriting? Can you unroot after it is done? I know I've written a book, lol, but you see my dilemma. Any advice given on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    05-28-2015 11:55 PM