HELP! Push notifications won't work on WIFI?

Jason Straight

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I have an LG G3, Verizon is my carrier, and I have the most recent Android OS (5.0.1) and the latest app updates. This problem is quite strange so read carefully.

A selection of apps on my phone will ONLY send me push notifications on 4G LTE, and NOT on WIFI. For instance, when I leave for work, and my phone transfers from Wifi to mobile data, my phone BLOWS UP with notifications from apps like Snapchat, Google Hangouts, Twitter, ESPN, MLB AT BAT, etc. Even stranger? I have two google email accounts attached to my Gmail app. One of them sends me notifications over WiFi, the other doesn't. Weird, huh?

As a person who is trying to save mobile data, this is quite frustrating that certain apps will not alert me while I'm on WiFi.

Is there ANYONE else out there experiencing this? Is there ANY fix for this?

HELP!

jcrutchvt2010

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Had the exact same problem on my T-Mobile S6. I disabled IPV6 on my router settings and it immediately corrected the issue. Let me know if this helps at all.

If interested in more detail..... from the Samsung Developer forums...

"When the phone connects to a wireless network and the wireless network sends ICMPv6 messages with Router Advertisements, the phone configures its IPv6 address according to the information submitted in the router advertisements. Those router advertisements have a life time (like DHCP leases), so after some time the phone removes the IPv6 address when no updates com in. Wirless routers generally resend those advertisements in a period of times (in my case every 6 seconds), so the route/ipv6 information is updated and the lifetime is reset.

The problem on Samsung's Android phones/tablets is the fact that the phone ignores any router advertisements once the screen is switched off. So the address wll reach its end of lifetime. This means, the phone looses its IPv6 address when in standby mode."

Last edited:

Tms04

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I have an LG G3, Verizon is my carrier, and I have the most recent Android OS (5.0.1) and the latest app updates. This problem is quite strange so read carefully.

A selection of apps on my phone will ONLY send me push notifications on 4G LTE, and NOT on WIFI. For instance, when I leave for work, and my phone transfers from Wifi to mobile data, my phone BLOWS UP with notifications from apps like Snapchat, Google Hangouts, Twitter, ESPN, MLB AT BAT, etc. Even stranger? I have two google email accounts attached to my Gmail app. One of them sends me notifications over WiFi, the other doesn't. Weird, huh?

As a person who is trying to save mobile data, this is quite frustrating that certain apps will not alert me while I'm on WiFi.

Is there ANYONE else out there experiencing this? Is there ANY fix for this?

HELP!

Did you ever find a true solution? I've been dealing with the same thing since the Lollipop update months ago.